04 | little gem

"Excuse me

"Excuse me. Yes, you sir. In the red. Who are you and why are you in there with them?" the voice rang out again, this time directed to the posh blonde boy in the corner.

Juniper watched as the boy tensed, looking around as he searched for a way out. So she was right. He wasn't meant to be here.

The rainbow girl next to him, gripped his arm tightly, giving him something that could only be words of encouragement before walking to the fence and perching herself in front of two children.

"Hi. How do you do? My name's Coriolanus Snow. And this is my tribute, Lucy Gray Baird from District 12," the posh boy greeted, introducing the children to her as he held onto the rainbow girl's hand.

The children stayed silent, but had a faint smile on their face.

"Hi there," the girl, Lucy Gray, spoke with a chuckle, leaning down to the children's level, "What's your name?"

Juniper couldn't help but stare as she watched the little boy hold onto his sister's hand as he spoke to the rainbow girl, remembering how Willow used to do the same for her when she was still around. Maybe in a few days, she'll do it again. When they're finally united.

"My names Pontius," said the little boy, keeping his sister close. Juniper watched as the camera inched closer, picking up their conversation.

"Well it's nice to meet you," Lucy Gray replied with a smile as she gesutred to the little girl, "Is this your sister?"

The little boy nodded as the young girl stepped forward.

"That's Venus. She's only four," the boy replied as the girl clutched his hand. Juniper bit the inside of her cheek at the exchange, heart aching as she thought of Willow.

"Well I think four's a very smart age to be," Lucy Gray answered, letting the girl get closer.

"Where'd you find that snake?" asked the little girl, smile beaming. Snake? So Lucy Gray must've been more sneaky than Juniper thought.

"Oh well he found me," Lucy Gray corrected, "Must've been a music lover. My singing calmed him right down."

The little girl continued to beamed as she looked behind Lucy Gray, noticing Juniper a few feet back.

Juniper smiled softly before turning her attention back to Lucy Gray.

"And who might you be?" Lucy Gray asked, smiling as she greeted the host. Lepidus Malmsey. Juniper would sometimes see him on television when her ma forced her to watch. She didn't particularly know much about the man, only that he was rather young for a reportor and seemed to lack experience.

Nevertheless, the Capitol must've liked him seeing as they intrusted him with interviewing the tributes. Or maybe it was a punishment.

"Lepidus. Lepidus Malmsey," the reporter greeted, smiling as he held out the mic for Lucy Gray to talk, "But more importantly, who are you, Lucy from District 12?"