The Revelation

"You're actually going?" Trisha asks me incredulously.

I'm standing before the dressing mirror in my room, trying to decide which of the two dresses to wear to the movies by holding out each one alternately in front of my body.

The first one is a red silk dress with noodle straps and a flattering neckline. The second one is a knee-length, sleeveless black dress with golden studs on the bodice and a zipper on the back which perfectly hugs my body to accentuate all my curves.

I decide to go with the black one.

"Yes, I'm going, Trisha." I tell her. "Now will you turn around so that I can change?"

She shoots me a dirty look and turns to face the wall and I quickly switch outfits. I've already straightened my hair as I knew it would take plenty of time to do it without burning myself.

"Can you go and check if Nitin's here?" I ask Trisha. I had requested her to get Nitin to drop me off at the movie theater this evening. And he was more than happy that I was finally getting somewhere with this.

"Yeah, sure." She says and exits the room. I squint in front of the mirror as I try to make a perfect line using my eyeliner and I finish off with a little mascara and lip gloss. I fetch my gold clutch and head downstairs.

As soon as I reach the living room, my aunt rushes up to me and starts smoothing my hair with her fingers and fiddling with my dress, trying to make me look more presentable.

"You should have put on a little more gloss." She suggests.

"Seriously, Kris?" I sigh. "I look fine."

She rolls her eyes and sashays off to sit on the floor by my mother's leg. Trisha enters the room with Nitin on her heels. He stops the moment he looks at me.

"Shit." He swears, slapping himself on the forehead.

"What? I look that bad?" I ask him, horrified.

"No! It's not you. You look striking." He says and I smile in relief. "I should have known that you'd be wearing a dress. I got my bike. If you can wait for like five minutes, I'll go get my brother's car."

"Oh, yeah. I should have told you." Trisha says, pinching the bridge of her nose. "You go do that."

Nitin leaves and I lean over the back of the couch to peck my Mum on her temple. She pats my cheek and says, "You have fun. And please be careful."

"That's an oxymoron, Mom." I joke and she looks up at me in utter shock and anger. "Okay, fine, I will. I won't even buy popcorn. I might choke on it."

She swats me on the arm and I chuckle and walk up to Trisha.

"I really wish you would come." I tell her.

"I don't want to be anywhere near that dumb..." She starts to say but stops when she sees my warning look. ".... that person. He's dating that bimbo, isn't he? So why did he ask you out? And why are you even going?"

"Because..." I begin and tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear. "...he deserves more than that brainless duck. And he didn't ask me out. There'll be other people with us."

"Maybe he deserves more than her. But definitely less than you." She says and I pout. "Fine. Call me if that Kriya tries to play her silly tricks or something. I'll send Nitin over immediately."

"Okay." I agree and after giving her a quick hug, I leave the house. I put on my black wedges out on the porch, walk down the drive and stand waiting outside the gate.

"You're finally going out, aren't you?" I hear a familiar voice ask. I don't bother to turn around or respond when he halts by my side.

"Not that I expect such things from you..." Dylan says. "....but a thank you wouldn't hurt, you know?"