16. Flashback

16| Flashback

Sithara dabbed extra concealer under her jaw to hide the hickey she received only a few minutes ago from her husband. She pressed her lips to even out her lipstick all across before styling her hair one final time. She picked her handbag, walking out of the room.

"You look so happy." Sithara giggled at her mother-in-law's comment as she walked down the stairs.

She was indeed overjoyed; she was visiting her parent's house almost after an year and a half. It felt like a celebration to her especially after having put so much effort to bring Arsalan on the same page. Even after five years of marriage he was still bitter about her family. He just didn't seem to become comfortable with them. Thankfully he was not outrageously cold with them like he was in the start but nonetheless it was very awkward for her to break the ice between her parents and her husband. She simply loathed the tension.

"May Allah always be with you." Sithara touched Ammi's feet for blessings. "Convey my regards to Mumma and Papa." She added and Sithara nodded.

"I have put your luggage in the car Bhabhi. Is there anything else I could help you with??"

"Thank you so much Jamal Bhai." Sithara smiled, denying.

"Where are Aadya and Athiya??" She asked Ammi.

"Already in the car. They are more excited than you." Ammi replied and Sithara beamed.

"You do take care Ammi. Call me if you or Abba needs anything, okay?" She insisted.

"Don't worry about us. You hardly see your family. Enjoy with them." Sithara hugged Ammi and took her leave.

Arsalan opened the door for Sithara from the driver's seat. She put her bag in her lap, glancing at her girls. They were chirping in the back seat about all the games that they were looking forward to play with their cousins.

Sithara's phone rang, breaking her observance. It was her father. "Beti, you are still not here. Shall I come to pick you??" His voice was a mix of concern and elation.

"I'm on my way Papa, Arsalan is dropping me." She understood that although her parents didn't openly discuss her husband's demeanor towards them very often, it did make them nervous and anxious. They were ever more careful about Sithara and her marriage terms with Arsalan since everything that Ranbir did came to light. They did not want to be absent from their daughter's life even by mistake.

"I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

"Okay, can't wait to have you back." He bid and Sithara saw Arsalan furtively roll his eye and shake his head in dislike. He found Sithara's father too sweet to be real. It was effing ridiculous of him to even think that. Her father was a true gentleman. Arsalan's guts amazed her. She wondered how easily he dared and she just let him.

His expressions were reserved and distant again. She couldn't believe that he was back to being cranky. They have just had sex, she had once again explained she missed her family too much to not be with them and assured she'd be back as soon as possible yet it didn't change his mood a bit. It seemed like he only momentarily agreed with her during sex.

"Careful oh god." Sithara screeched as Aadya and Athiya jumped out of the car the moment it stopped. The door banged shut and they were running inside the main gate in a second. Arsalan had still parked the car away from her house, at the same spot he had always had, as if their relationship was still a secret.