Chapter 4: A Friend's Confrontation

(Sonic POV)

I was running across the forest, my red trail being the only thing there with me. I boosted my speed every now and then to make sure that if anyone was following me they couldn't keep up. I eventually skidded to a stop. I didn't know this part of Green Hills.

SNAP!

I spun around, expecting Orbot or Cubot trying to be sneaky but miserably failing. But it wasn't; it was the people I left behind days ago. I glared at them with anger in my eyes. "What do you freaks want?" I asked coldly.

Tails's ears were flattened. Amy showed hurt feelings in her emerald green eyes. Knuckles looked like he wanted to pummel me to the wall. Rouge was the only one brave enough to approach me.

"Sonic," she spoke. "Stop this madness, please. We know now what happened with the shatterverses. We know that the Sonic who saved us and never forgot about us is still in there. The Sonic the Hedgehog we know and love."

"Sonic..." Amy said softly. "You always cared about us. You always cheered us up when we were upset or sad. We're sorry never asked how you were doing. We should've noticed sooner something was wrong, even when you said you were fine. And for that we're sorry."

"It's because of you any of us even have friends at all. You were the glue that united us. That gave us hope." Knuckles added, approaching me as well. "We owe a lot to you and we didn't even say thank you for everything you've done and treated you as if you were an annoying chimpanzee."

Tails walked towards me as well. "Sonic, you saved us all so many years ago. You're the reason I'm not Nine. You're the reason Amy isn't still trapped by Metal Sonic. You're the reason Knuckles isn't still tricked by Eggman. You saved the world countless times, and all we do is ignore you." Tails finished.

I was caught off guard by their speeches. My gaze moved towards the ground as I tried to solve the inner conflict inside me. I looked away from the team and clenched my fists. I closed my eyes tightly as tears threatened to flow. I opened my eyes with a softer look as I transformed back into my blue form. Tails walked closer to me cautiously. Amy held out her hand for me. I slowly reached out for it.

"Oh, hedgehog~!"

I tensed as I transformed back into my black form, growling at Eggman. "Egghead! What do you want now?!" I asked. Eggman sent robots after me without an answer. I rushed out of there and into safety. "Sonic, wait!" Tails cried. "Sonic! No!" Amy shouted in the distance. Knuckles and Rouge shouted something, but I got too far to be able to hear it. I eventually stopped to catch my breath.

"I need a break from running," I said between breaths. "Note to self; don't admit that to anyone." I added and I sat down against the tree. That was enough running for one day. Even I know when to rest and I'm the fastest thing alive. I relaxed and thought about my past adventures with the shatterverses. No doubt they heard about my betrayal and are already on their way here. Maybe they're the reason Amy, Tails, Knuckles, and Rouge still haven't given up on me.

My thoughts went to Shadow. I wonder if he heard of my betrayal. I wouldn't be surprised if Rouge had told him. Those two are pretty close. I resisted a chuckle & a smirk. I wonder what he'd think if he'd saw me like this. He'd probably be relieved that he got rid of me forever. He probably doesn't care about me at all. My mind wandered back to when he saved me from dying that one time. That was probably because he didn't want to deal with Amy's unending lectures.

He didn't care. None of them cared. Aleena didn't care. Uncle Chuck didn't care. Sonia didn't care. Manic didn't care. I'm the one risking my life to save everyone I love and care about, yet none of them care. Shadow should've just left me to cease to exist. The different versions of the people I know should've just let me sacrifice myself to Nine.

I curled into a tight, black ball and pinned back my ears in slight fear of what I was thinking of. I closed my eyes tightly. Soon I drifted to unconsciousness, the dark thoughts drifting away faster than I could run.