Chapter 9: Old Memories

4 years ago, before the Prism Shatter events...

Two hedgehogs, an echidna, and a two tailed fox were trying to find a home. Sonic at the time preferred to use the blue form around these animals, and kept the black form hidden, in fear that that would turn out like his family.

Sonic wasn't the happy, free-spirited, carefree and optimistic blue hedgehog that he is today, in fact he acted quite like Shadow when they first met him. He often got annoyed when his 'friends' tried to invite him on their activities.

Knuckles was less of a grump and more of a friendly echidna, Amy was over the top OBSESSED with the blue hedgehog, annoying him to his limits, and Tails was a fanboy of Sonic, annoying him when he wanted to be alone.

They weren't heroes back then. They were just anthropomorphic animals trying to find a home, of course they found it, but a certain Egghead found it as well and ruined everything. Tails was eight years old, Knuckles was twelve years old, and Sonic and Amy were both eleven years old.

It was five months ago when they met Sonic, and they haven't seen him smile or heard him laugh once. Amy, Knuckles, and Tails were all close friends, but Sonic preferred to distance himself from them, making sure not to bond with them too much as a result of past trauma.

Back then, Sonic couldn't have cared less about them, but alas their parents trusted him with them and he agreed against his will because Amy or Tails would never have left him alone if he said no. Not even his super-speed could've gotten him out of that one.

Here is how Sonic warmed up to the group and started to care for them as much as he does today:

Sonic, Amy, Tails and Knuckles were all settling in a forest for rest and a break. Sonic got back from getting some food and water before he saw that they were making a mess of the place. "What are you doing?" asked Sonic, crossing his arms.

"Okay, we had a feeling that we weren't exactly hitting it off together, so we decided that the best way to start our friendship would be a sleepover!" revealed Amy. Sonic rolled his emerald green eyes.

"When will you all get it through your thick skulls!? We.will.never.be.friends!! All of your tactics to invite me on your STUPID activities doesn't help either!! I could CARE LESS about what happens to you, and the only reason I keep you here is because your parents put me in charge of you!!! We.will.never.be.friends!!" shouted Sonic sternly.

"I...I...Your right." whimpered Tails. "I guess we have gotten a little annoying," whispered Knuckles. "We'll leave you alone now, Sonic. Goodnight..." said Amy as they all got onto their 'beds' they made for themselves.

Sonic sighed, and rubbed his neck. "Y'know..." he started, sitting next to them. They all looked at him. "Maybe I've been too harsh on you all. I've grown up all by myself in the wild. They didn't exactly give me a manual on how to be friendly."

"Maybe, we could learn together?" suggested Amy. "Maybe we won't try so hard to be friends?" added Tails. "And I'll try harder not to...NOT be your friend." replied Sonic, then he looked around.

"Hey, you wanna help clean up the place? Some weird anthropomorphic animals made a mess of it!" joked Sonic, throwing sand at the three of them. "Hey!" shouted Knuckles. Tails was snickering, and then they all broke into a laugh.

And that was the first time they heard Sonic laugh.