Together

Despite it being daytime, darkness prevailed, whether it was the thickening hues of the forest or simply an overall somber atmosphere. Peering ahead, I strained to find any trace or sound of my friends who were being pursued, but all was silent. I couldn't get lost since my path followed only a narrow trail. Throughout the journey, I berated myself for leaving her like that. I couldn't just depart with the others, leaving her alone with that questionable character. Well, perhaps he wasn't questionable, but to her, he would surely become just another passerby. I would make sure of that. I didn't want to lose her again, although I understood that I had only worsened the situation.

I had been on the road for about an hour, and only now did I pay attention to my horse. It was white with a lush mane and seemed calm.

"I wonder, what's your name?" Leaning cautiously toward the animal, I touched its mane and ran my hand, but apparently not quite skillfully, not following the proper technique... The horse jerked its head so sharply that I fell off the saddle and onto the ground.

"Darn..." I groaned, trying to get up quietly from the ground. I wasn't doing very well at it. Apparently, when I was flying, I hit my side on a tree. "You're definitely not calm. They gave me a spirited horse too!" The animal approached me and lowered its head in front of me, as if asking for something.

"No, for such antics, you won't get a carrot. Although, what carrot? I only have chocolate. And where are we in such a hurry now? The mission has failed. We can go back... only when the pain subsides."

"Yoohyeon? What's wrong with you?"

I was certainly lucky today. In an instant, Jiu was on her knees in front of me, examining me from head to toe.

"Does anything hurt?" she asked anxiously every second.

"Everything's fine now, just an unsuccessful ride..."

"I see. And why aren't you with the guys?"

"Why are you with him?" Stopping the teacher's hands, which were so energetically exploring me even under my clothes for injuries, I asked.

"Stop it, please..."

"What to stop? You leave with him alone, without explaining anything to anyone. What else should I think?"

"You're so far from the truth! Why don't you believe me? I've told you so many times that... Although it doesn't matter, no matter what I say, it's all in vain. Come on, get up, let's go back!"

Rising from the ground, she offered me her hand. We didn't ride the horses; we just walked back in silence. We didn't go far when it started to drizzle.

"Let's go faster, or we'll get wet."

Nodding in response, we quickened our pace, but it was useless; the rain intensified, and the wind started.

"Look, there, it seems like some house!" the teacher shouted, and we ran towards the unknown dwelling.

Quickly tying the horses under a small roof, we entered inside. The room was small, more like a shelter for people like us, tired and wet. In the middle stood a wooden chair with carved patterns, like in old times, and two chairs. In the corner, oddly enough, was a springy mattress-covered bed, nothing luxurious. And there was no sign of the owner, just for tourists.

"I suggest waiting out the rain here," I finally spoke, surveying the old candle.

"Yes, I agree."

Miss Jiu sat down on a chair and began to wring out her clothes. Yes, we're very wet.

"Do you mind if I take off my jacket, because it's terribly cold in wet clothes...."

"Yes, as you wish, of course."