II - Money for Life

Why were they here...? I walked towards my house and saw my family outside... "We will get your money, your majesty... But we don't have it now..." I heard my father say. I stayed back a little from them all.

Listening close to it all. "I don't believe you..." I heard the voice of the king... He had taken out his sword but I shouted at them all. "Wait! Stop please!"

The king stopped raising his sword and looked at me. "Who are you?" they asked, glaring at me. "I-I am y/n..." I say with a gulp. "Please, they are telling the truth... There my parents I would know..." I add.

The king stared at me for a while. Then they put their sword away and scoffed and said "You have two weeks" I felt myself smile happily. The king then walked away. I felt myself sigh and I walked towards my family.

"Are you guys ok...?" I looked with worry as I stared at them. "Yeah..." my sister said, smiling at me. "Thank you," my father said and I nodded. "You're welcome..." I say with a smile at the end.

"How will we even make this? We only have two weeks and they expect us to have 500 gold coins..." my mother said with worry. "500!?" I shout out and then put a hand over my mouth to stop me from shouting.

"I am sorry just but... 500?" I say with absolute terror... "How will we even make that much...? We are barely even surviving now..." my father says.

"I can get a job..." I then say to try to help. "No one will hire a girl," my mother says with disappointment. "I can try... There might be desperate businesses..." I say.

My mother sighs and nods. "Were screwed" my sister mumbles under her breath. "We got this guys!" I say trying to bring positivity into this situation we were in. No one seemed to cheer up though.

They all just walked back home... I sighed and looked back to the village. It wouldn't be that bad getting a job... I started walking back to the village.

Once I was near the village again I heard barking. I saw the dog from earlier run up to me. "Oh hey, buddy!" I say with a smile and I pet it. It barked with joy I would assume.

"I need to find a job to help my family..." I say and I stand up straight and start walking around town.

(Time skip)

Every single business I had asked declined... We were screwed. My family and I would be killed... This wasn't very pleasant... I sat on the curve and the dog I now named 'Buddy' sat beside me.

"What do I do...?" I say with a saddened voice. Buddy then barked. Then I felt his head bump me. I looked at him and Buddy looked in front of him. I looked to see where he was looking.

Alaric's... Maybe he would let me work there? "Thank you, Buddy," I say with a smile and stand up. I walked towards the place and opened the door. "Hello?" I heard a voice call out.

"Alaric?" I called out and I saw him pop out from a shelf. "Oh, Ms Y/n why are you back?" he asked, raising his eyebrow. "What don't you like about my company?" I say with a smile. "Oh, I do! But I thought- you know what, never mind... What do you need?" he asked.

"I need a job..." I say with an awkward voice. "Oh... You want to work here?" he asks and I nod. "Alright... You can help around here..." he says. I smiled as he didn't decline me like the other places did.

"When do you want to" he started to say but I cut him off. "Now," I say quickly and Alaric nods with it. "Well, you can help put books away," he says. I nodded and started to get to work. Me and my family were not screwed.

(Time skip)

Throughout the two weeks, it was fun. Me and my father had both worked so we both had enough coins to have enough to pay the taxes. I had fun working. Alaric didn't overwork me or anything of that sort.

Even after all the taxes were paid I still worked for him. It was nice hanging out with him as well so it didn't matter. 

I worked from 5:00 Pm to 7:00 Pm I wanted to work longer but he wouldn't let me. Right now it was 4:45 Pm. I was getting ready to go back to the bookstore. "Y/n? What are you doing" I heard a voice say behind me.

I turned around and saw my sister standing there looking tired. "Oh, getting ready to back to the bookstore," I say with a smile. "Oh, why?" my sister asked slightly tilting her head to the side.

"Because I work there remember?" I say confused by her question. "Oh... I would have thought you quit by now" she said with a shrug. "Why?" I asked raising my eyebrow slightly. "Because the taxes are paid and you are you know a woman you shouldn't be working..." my sister said.

"Two things... When we have taxes again and if they're high we can pay... Two women can work..." I say. "Well, they can there just not supposed to..." my sister says with a scoff at the idea of that.

I didn't answer her and just grabbed my bag. "Where are you going?" she asked. "I just told you..." I say with another confused tone to it... 

 "Oh, yes..." my sister says furrowing her eyebrows and walking away. I roll my eyes and growl a little. I loved my sister but I hated the way she thought...

I sigh and walk out of my room and on my way out of the house. I opened the door and exited my lovely home. I started walking down the dirt path back to the village. 

As I finally saw the village in sight. I walked into the village taking in the scent of this place. As I did I heard barking and smiled. I looked to where I would look for Buddy.

I spotted the brown spotted dog run to me. "Hi! Buddy" I say and kneel to pet him. "Whose a good boy?" I say with a giggle as I petted him. I then stood up straight. "Well, I have to go to work..." I say.

The dog whined and I smiled softly. "Sorry... I will give more pets right after ok?" I say with a questioning tone to it. I then petted the dog's head one more time and started walking to the bookstore.

As I did I heard shouting... My eyes started to adjust to what looked like fire... I stopped walking and stared at the now-burning bookstore... 

(Author) Oop- Sorry to leave you on another cliff hanger LOL.