III - A friend in danger

I saw Alaric... Then the knight and the king... "Please this my home! This is my work!" Alaric had shouted at them. "You should have paid..." I heard the king say. "Arrest him" the king then said with a motion of his hands. 

I gasped and ran towards them all. "Wait! What's going on!?" I shouted even know I knew damn well what was happening. The guards pointed their swords and I raised my hand slightly. 

I saw the king look at me with a look I had seen him give me before. He motioned for his guards to lower their swords. "You're friend has decided not to pay taxes... Looks like he and you're family have this in common" the king said.

I looked at Alaric horrified... "Please I can help him get the money-" I started to say but got cut off. "No," the king said without hesitation to take in what I had said. He then motioned for the guards to go back to arresting Alaric... 

"What are you going to do to him..." I say terrified for his sake... "What do you think?" the king said with a rude tone. I stayed quiet as my eyes drifted back from the king to Alaric.

"Please..." I say with a desperate tone to it... "Y/n... It's ok..." I heard Alaric say. "No, it isn't!" I shouted back at him and I made the dumb choice of trying to get to Alaric. 

Two guards instantly grabbed me... Then pulled me away holding me against my will. I heard Buddy start barking at the guards... The shorter one held me by my shoulders... The taller one kept a firm grip on my neck.

"Don't make dumb choices Ms. Y/n..." the king said. He gave me a disgusted look and laughed. I felt tears enter my eyes as I saw Alaric get dragged away... "Please..." I say with a desperate tone... 

The king had stared at me for a little... He then said, "I will let this slide..." 

He then started walking away... The guards still held me down... I would guess so I didn't try to run to save Alaric or the king... 

After a little while... The king was only a speck now... The guards let go... " I am sorry Ms..." the shorter one said... He held a soft British voice. The taller one seemed to not care much... "Stupid decisions get you stupid outcomes" he said.

He had a little bit of an annoying teenage voice... 

They both started walking away... I began to sob as I fell to the ground... The ground seemed to scrape my knee. It stung but my sobbing was more intense than the pain.

I felt something poke me and I saw Buddy. I continued to sob but I hugged him. My friend was now in danger... What could I do now...? 

I can't let my friend die... I felt heat touch me a little and looked back to the burning bookstore... How could they have done this...?

I stood up from the ground and wiped the dirt off of me... I had to save Alaric... He had saved me and my family... I felt myself take a deep breath and let it out.

How would I save him though... The king hadn't listened to me... Maybe if I pay his taxes for him...? But I barely had any money at all... Maybe I can get money from my family...?

I nodded to that idea... I then began running out of the village I didn't have much time... I ran out of the village down the dirt path to my house.

I started to see it as I ran towards it. I heard barking behind me and I looked behind myself and saw Buddy following me. I stopped at my door and opened motioning for Buddy to stay behind.

I slammed the door and it must have woken up my parents because they stepped out of their bedroom. "What are you doing?" my father said annoyed. "I need help," I say with a shaky voice because of my running.

I then saw my sister walk out with her husband. "What did you do this time?" my mother says with a confused and aggrieved voice.

"Alaric! He is in trouble!" I say with a worried tone. "What??" my sister says yawning. "Guys I need help getting money for him to be let go or they will kill him!" I shout. 

"First off calm down... And second, why should that be our problem??" my father says. He raised his eyebrow at me. "Because he helped us!" I say with a devasted-looking face. "Helped us?" my mother asked confused.

"He was the one who let me work..." I say with a sigh. "Oh, ... Well then he is a fool and that is his fault..." my sister says. "What?" I say furrowing my eyebrows as I look at her.

"It isn't our business..." my sister's husband says. "Yes, it is! He is the only reason we are not dead!" I shout. "Well, it's his fault he hired someone even though he knew he couldn't pay his taxes..." my mother says.

"Are you serious...?" I say with a voice of unbelief... "Just go to bed..." my father says annoyed... "No! We need to-" I started to say but I got cut off. "Go to bed end of discussion!" my father snaps at me...

"You guys are unbelievable..." I say... I then saw my father and mother go back to their room... As did my sister... My sister's husband stared at me for a little he then winked. 

I didn't have enough in me to give a disgusted look. I continued to stand there as I realized my family wouldn't help me at all. I then walked to my room and grabbed a box out from under my bed...

I opened it and started counting the money in there... It wasn't enough... I knew it wasn't... But maybe if I gave this and did something for the king as well? Alaric didn't deserve this...

I won't let him be killed because of this unfair king... I won't let it happen...

(Author) Oh NOOO ALARIC :((