Chapter 9

FOR A WHILE, THEY STOOD IN A POIGNANT SILENCE, the salty drips flowing freely in defiance of her control, each droplet sipping immense emotion flooding, a proof of the depth of her hopeless, fervent longing

Despite the ache in his own heart and the tormenting grip it has, he knew that he must honor the payment of the wish he had granted, his own selfishly hanging with hers. Still, above all else, he yearned for her happiness.

"This is the farthest my magic can grant."

With her eyes continually brimming with unshed tears and her heart heavy with vehement yearning, she refused to let him go. Her heartfelt plea was reflected in her expression, a blend of deep affection and sorrow that caused her facade to crumble, revealing her vulnerability in the current situation. Lucifer's eyes gleamed with ardent dejection as he finally relented, his resolve crumbling in the face of her unwavering love. Though it frustrated him to no end, he couldn't bear to see her in pain, and so he made the decision to stay a bit longer by her side.

Despite the impending consequences of his actions, Lucifer's heart ached to soothe her, to touch her once more, and to share in her pain. Ignoring the looming punishment that awaited him, he reached out for her, his arm extended, awaiting her warmth, his hands glowing with a golden light as he interlaced his fingers with hers.

Bringing her hand to his soft lips, he planted gentle kisses upon her skin, each touch a silent yet profound declaration of his affection and farewell. Pressing her hand tenderly against his cheek, he savored the warmth of her touch, a bittersweet reminder of the love they shared.

With his other hand, he wiped away the tears that fell from her glistening eyes, his touch offering solace amidst the overwhelming tide of emotions that threatened to engulf them both. Drawing her close, Lucifer enveloped her once more in a comforting embrace. As she pressed her cheek against his shoulder, his scent was a familiar balm to her wounded soul. Yet, even in the safety of his arms, she couldn't help but mourn.

For what felt like an eternity, they remained locked in each other's embrace, time standing still as they savored every precious moment together. With each beat of their hearts, they willed the passage of time to slow, desperate to prolong their fleeting connection for just a little while longer. The gentle rhythm of the music box provided a soothing backdrop to their shared sorrow.

As the inevitable departure drew near, a bittersweet smile graced Lucifer's lips, his gaze lingering upon her with a mixture of love and sorrow. In the silent exchange of glances, they spoke utterances without uttering a single word, their hearts intertwined in a dance of longing and resignation.

"It's time for me to leave," he murmured softly, his voice laden with profound woe.

But she couldn't bear the thought of him slipping away from her grasp.

"Please..."

"Please..."

"Don't leave yet," she pleaded, her voice quivering with desperation as she clung to him, unwilling to let him go.