➤ chapter 1 : twin flame

URSA DID NOT expect to be pregnant with twins

URSA DID NOT expect to be pregnant with twins. it was a rare occurrence, and she was not prepared at all. it was also something she did not want to do, but her arranged marriage to ozai said otherwise.

"can i hold one of them?" zuko asked as he stood next to the bed where his mom laid. ozai stood with his hand on zuko's shoulder.

"here." ursa weakly smiled, placing one of the newborns into his gentle arms. zuko looked at his sister in awe, admiring how her small cluster of hair barely covered her eyes.

ozai and ursa exchanged no words as the man takes the second daughter from her.

"i know what this one's name will be." ozai said with a small smirk. "after her grandfather."

"you can't possibly name our daughter azulon. that's setting her up for failure." ursa explained.

"fine, then. azula it is." ozai replied. zuko looked to the one he held and softly smiled.

"can i pick a name?" zuko asked, causing ursa and ozai to look his way.

"what do you have in mind?" ursa asked.

"miizumi. uncle told me it means something like a good omen." zuko explained.

"a good omen, a good sign. miizumi. i like that, son." ozai replied with a slight nod. "i wouldn't want anything less for the future of the fire nation." zuko smiled at his father's agreement.

"azula and miizumi?" ursa muttered. "they're beautiful." she smiles. even though she didn't want to have children, they each gave her hope that they could break the painful cycle of anger and violence within the royal family.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"mii, i had so much fun with father," azula bursts into miizumi's room to find her sister laying on her bed, flipping through the pages of a fire nation history book. "he taught me a new firebending move." she flops onto miizumi's bed.

"another one?" miizumi asks. "i wanna firebend too." she sighs.

"here, i'll show you something simple." azula replies. she holds her hand out in front of her and miizumi copies her. "imagine you're turning a light switch on, but make sure your palm is flat so the flame has a flat surface."

"i think i almost got it, zula." miizumi mutters. she furrows her eyebrows together in concentration as a flame erupts from her hand.

"look, you're doing it!" azula smiles.

"azula. miizumi." ozai swings the door open and miizumi shuts her hand, putting out the small flame.

"father." the two girls say.

"what were you just doing?" ozai asks as he approaches the bed they sit on.

"i want to be a fire bender like you." miizumi replies.

"you're not meant to be a firebender. your destiny will be different." ozai explains.

"that doesn't sound bad." miizumi says with slight unease.

"my two daughters. the future of the fire nation." the man grins, placing his hands on both of their shoulders.

"i wanna help my home however i can, father." the girl smiles.

"i know you do. i don't expect anything less from my princesses." ozai replies.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"miizumi." miizumi looks up from the pond where the turtle ducks swim to find her father, mother, another man and a little boy walking up to her. she stands up, smoothing out her dress.

"who's that?" miizumi asks with no intention to be discreet, pointing directly to the unknown young boy.

"im kaizo." the boy smiles.

"this is sho, a very important person within our military. we have agreed to form an alliance by marrying you to kaizo when you both are of age." ozai explains as he introduces kaizo's father. ursa feels bad for her daughter having to go down the same path she did.

"i gotta marry him?" miizumi asks in slight disgust.

"yes, me! is there a problem with that?" kaizo replies.

"not for now, i guess." miizumi glares at him, folding her arms over her chest. since she is too young to understand now, she isn't aware of what is to follow.

END.