➤ chapter 27 : acceptance

"WATERBENDERS DEAL WITH the flow of energy

"WATERBENDERS DEAL WITH the flow of energy. a waterbender lets their defense become their offense, turning their opponent's energy against them. i learned a way to do this with lightning." iroh explains.

"you know how how to redirect lightning?" zuko asks and iroh nods.

"if you let the energy in your own body flow, the lightning will follow it. you must create a pathway from your fingertips, up your arm to your shoulder, then down into your stomach."

"the stomach is the source of energy in your body. it is called the sea of chi, only in my case, it is more like a vast ocean." iroh laughs, running his tummy and miizumi smiles.

"from the stomach, you direct it up again and out the other arm. the stomach detour is critical. you must not let the lighting pass through your heart. for the damage could be deadly." he says.

"how do you prevent it from passing through your heart?" miizumi asks.

"peace of mind is stronger than any other force in the universe. once you achieve peace of mind, a wall is built around your heart. no negative energy can come in, no positive energy can come out." iroh turns to the girl.

"but this wall can also be broken and fixed over and over again."

"you may wish to try a physical motion to get a feel for the pathway's flow, like this." iroh stands with his feet slightly apart, his left arm pointed towards the sky while his right arm falls to his stomach, then to the other side of his body similar to a clockwise motion. miizumi and zuko copy his movements.

"now, are you focusing your energy? can you feel your own chi flowing in, down, up and out?" iroh asks.

"yeah." miizumi says, taking a deep breath as she follows her uncle.

"i think so." zuko also says, looking at miizumi for a second.

"come on. you've got to feel the flow." iroh smiles, waving his arms back and forth like a wave.

zuko keeps looking at miizumi, trying to point his feet in the same direction as hers and match her breathing pace.

he refuses to let anyone else be better than him. he refuses to let his other sister beat him.

"excellent. you've got it." iroh says.

"i think i'm more sure of myself now." miizumi smiles.

"i'm ready to try it with real lightning." zuko exclaims with a smirk.

"what? are you crazy? lightning is very dangerous." iroh responds.

"i thought that was the point. you teaching me how to protect myself from it." zuko says.

"yeah, but i'm not going to shoot lightning at you." iroh replies. "if you're lucky, you will never have to use this technique at all."

"zuko, i'm pretty sure the lightning is supposed to come from within you, not from the sky." miizumi says and looks up at the sky rumbling with thunder.