➤ chapter 26 : peace of mind

"WHAT ARE YOU doing?" miizumi asks as she looks to zuko who is sitting with his back facing her

"making tea for uncle when he wakes up." zuko replies.

"do you need help?" the girl doesn't get a response. "zuko? zuzu?" she says jokingly.

"look, why don't you just go back to your new friends? you've obviously become a traitor to the fire nation and you're a burden to us." zuko angrily exclaims and miizumi feels a lump form in her throat.

"i'm not a traitor, zuko." miizumi desperately replies, choking back tears. "you know how bad father has treated me ever since i was little. and mom wasn't such an angel either."

"i don't know how you feel about her, but father turned her that way. she wasn't always that way and you know it." zuko turns around and looks at her.

"she's just as bad as a parent as ozai is and you know it! or maybe she was too busy spoiling you for you to realize how bad i had it!" miizumi shouts.

"you had it bad? i was forced to duel against him in an agni kai when i was younger than you are now! he burned half of my face and banished me until i find the avatar, only to find out that you've been friends with him the whole time!" zuko scoffs.

"he hurt me too!" miizumi pulls her hair off her shoulder and reveals the burn mark. "ever since mom left and you got banished, it was all me. i took all the pain and now i'm just this. all this anger with nowhere to go. and i thought that out of all people, you would understand."

zuko's features soften and his mouth hangs slightly open. he stares at miizumi in disbelief. the last time he saw her she was around eleven. now she was older and he could see the affect the fire nation left on her just by looking at her.

dark circles linger beneath her eyes and the spark that once made her eyes light up in the sunlight is no longer there. a faint scratch can be found on her cheek from where sokka had striked her with his machete the day they first met.

before zuko can reply, his eyes dart to iroh who is stirring awake and he grabs the cup of tea. he sits down next to iroh and miizumi stands further away from the two.

"obviously i'm interrupting something. i'll go." miizumi whispers, zuko just barely hearing her words as she grabs her bag, slinging it over her shoulder.

"miizumi, where are you going?" iroh asks and miizumi turns around and looks at him. he pats the spot on the other side of him and she slowly makes her way towards him, eventually sitting down. she avoids zuko's line of sight.

"my dear niece, you've grown so much. you must still be eleven now, aren't you?" he places a hand on her cheek as he sits up and she smiles softly.

"i'm fourteen, uncle." miizumi responds.

"why aren't you home? why are you out here?" iroh asks and the girl falls silent.

"i hope i made it the way you like it." zuko hands iroh a cup of hot tea. iroh takes a sip of the drink and miizumi can see his eyes widen in disgust before he covers it up.