➤ chapter 3 : endlessly

FIVE YEARS LATER

FIVE YEARS LATER

"I CAN'T BELIEVE you actually agreed to marrying him." azula scoffs in disbelief.

"well, i was six. i didn't have a clue in the world and plus, father wasn't going to listen to me anyways." miizumi replies.

"at least he won't be fire lord." azula smirks.

"i know. i don't think i'd be able to ever show my face if he ended up taking my role of leadership!" miizumi says.

"oh servants, do this. oh, do that." azula mocks, sticking out her bottom lip. miizumi covers her mouth as she laughs so she doesn't wake anyone in the castle up.

"blah blah blah, im kaizo and i talk too much." miizumi says. "is it embarrassing to say that i miss the kid he was before he became an asshole?" she asks.

"no. also, you wouldn't take it back even if it was wrong." azula replies. she wraps her arm around miizumi as the two lay in azula's bed, talking about anything and everything.

"you know me so well." miizumi smiles.

"im supposed to know you so well. i am your older sister after all." azula replies.

"you don't have to point out our age gap every damn day, zula." the girl rolls her eyes.

"but seriously, don't worry about that. we'll rule the fire nation right next to each other." azula holds out her pinky for miizumi to grab with her own pinky.

"yeah, i know we will." miizumi tiredly smiles.

"i have to be up for training with father." the older girl says, looking at her sister.

"you're kicking me out?" miizumi scoffs as she sits up.

"sure am." azula smirks and softly kicks miizumi in her back.

"i'll get you back for that." miizumi points to azula, walking to the bedroom door. "night, zula."

"night, mii." miizumi quietly shuts the door behind her and makes her way down the long corridor. her bedroom is at the end of the hallway so it isn't a far walk.

her eyes dart to the large window that stretches from the top of the wall to the bottom of the wall and she walks up to the window. she places her hand on the glass, looking at the land beyond the palace.

to know that one day it can all be fire nation land is something else for her. growing up, she has always been taught that the fire nation is doing a good deed by spreading their success to the world. and she still believes it.

"miizumi?" she turns around and looks at her older brother zuko.

"hey. why are you up?" miizumi asks.

"i could say the same thing. come on, go to sleep." zuko sighs, walking her to her bedroom.

"do you wanna hang out tomorrow? please, zuko?" miizumi says, standing at her door with zuko. "father is training azula again and im gonna be bored, like always."

"i have a meeting to attend soon and i have to figure out what im going to say. i still can't believe it. im excited to go, mii." zuko smiles. "i feel important."

"you are important, zuzu." miizumi laughs at the use of the nickname that she knows he hates so much.

"just for that, i am now walking away." zuko rolls his eyes, pushing miizumi's forehead as he walks back to his room.

"sweet dreams, zuzu." miizumi calls before she closes her door behind her, preventing zuko from coming in. she wastes no time in burying herself under her duvets because the palace is always cold.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"father?" miizumi calls as she sees ozai. "i have a question." she says. ozai walks up to her and she bows.

"what is it?" ozai asks.

"i'm just curious as to why azula gets to learn how to firebend and i cannot. we're the same age. you've never explored my potential before." miizumi explains.

ozai clenches his jaw as he refrains from hitting his youngest daughter like he'd do to ursa. "you do not question my decisions."

"do you have a reason?" miizumi asks, more timid than before.

"miizumi." ozai says firmly. "you are simply an asset to improve our country." miizumi's features soften and ozai pinches the skin in between his eyebrows as he regrets his choice of words.

a gift that zuko and azula didn't get to experience, was that ozai had somewhat learned how to have some form of patience and empathy towards miizumi.

"you're helping out the fire nation. and for this, your name will be known forever. you might even be in the history books." ozai says.

"really?" miizumi asks with a smile. all she seeks for is ozai's approval. she'll take any praise from him.

and ozai knows this, he knows how to manipulate her into thinking she is playing a more important role in the war than she actually is.

"i didn't mean to upset you." ozai sighs. "how about i allow you to go into town and have a nice day for yourself?"

"oh, you don't have to, father." miizumi replies. with ursa focusing on zuko and ozai focusing on azula, miizumi has always felt lost within the family. there was nobody for her to turn to. she didn't want to appear spoiled by her father. she knows money can't heal the hole in her heart that yearns for her parents' attention.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"how do i look?" zuko walks into miizumi's room and she sees him dressed in formal attire for the meeting he has to attend.

"professional. like a general." miizumi replies, dropping her paintbrush and walking up to zuko.

"do i look important?" zuko smiles.

"you've always been important." she sighs. "how many times do i have to tell you, moron?" she hits zuko's cheek and he returns the gesture.

"that's for calling me zuzu yesterday." he says.

"whatever." she rolls her eyes. "but if you want to hear it, then yes, you look important."

"im excited." he softly laughs.

"wow. i couldn't tell at all." she refers to the fact he can't stop smiling. "im proud of you." she smiles.

"thanks, mii. i gotta go now. i don't wanna be late or i'll look bad and untimely." zuko explains.

"go then." she shoos him away and returns back to her spot on her floor. she grabs her paintbrush, touching up a few details like she was doing before zuko walked in.

she carefully grabs the canvas with her messy hands and holds it in front of her to look at it. it is a painting of the beach her and her family used to visit all the time years before.

she can't remember much, but she can remember the sand that used to get between her toes as her and her siblings spent the day winning beach games against the other children.

END.