Chapter Four

TIM

We walk into the ER and the receptionist looks up. Her eyes widen when she sees us as we walk up to the front desk.

"Oh my. What happened?"

"We're police officers. We were investigating a lead and things got a little... violent." I explain.

"I stayed behind in the car and an object shattered the window. While covering my head, I was hit by debris." Lucy adds.

"And she's pregnant."

Lucy gives me a look.

"It's an important part of your medical history. They need to know."

"I'll get the doctor." the receptionist says before scurrying off. Moments later, a nurse comes to take us back to a room. We wait and shortly the doctor walks in. He is an older gentleman with a warm smile.

"I'm Doctor Jones. I understand you ran into some trouble today?"

"You could say that," Lucy replies.

"I see. And I've been told that you are pregnant, is that right?"

Lucy just nods.

Dr. Jones calls for the nurse to come in.

"I'm going to ask you some questions while the nurse cleans your wounds, does that sound alright?"

"That's fine."

The nurse starts to clean Lucy's wounds and Dr. Jones pulls out a tablet.

"Tell me, how far along are you?"

This question makes me realize just how little I know about this pregnancy. Based on Lucy's expression, I'd guess that she has no idea, either.

"I- uh- I don't know. I just took the test this morning."

"That's alright, we can do a blood test here."

He calls for another nurse who collects the blood sample and then leaves.

"It will take about fifteen minutes for that to come back." Dr. Jones tells us. The nurse has begun to put stitches on the gash in Lucy's arm.

Lucy looks scared. I reach for her hand and give it a gentle squeeze, reminding her that I'm here.

"Tell me about your symptoms."

"Well, it's hard to say. I don't have much of a frame of reference. I don't know what's a pregnancy-related symptom and what's not."

"That's okay." Dr. Jones assures us. "I'll ask you some questions to help us figure it out."

"Okay."

"Have you felt tired? Irritable?"

"Yes and yes. I've been crying at the drop of a hat. I've blown up about the littlest things." Lucy looks at me guiltily. "I've been yelling and snapping at him for no reason."

"Lucy..."

I see tears starting to collect in her eyes. "I've been horrible to you. How can I expect you to put up with me when I'm like this for nine months?"

Dr. Jones gives us a sympathetic look.

I gather Lucy in a hug, her head resting on my chest, and I soothingly run my fingers through her hair. "It's okay, baby, I know you can't help it."

"It's not fair to you, though. You shouldn't have to deal with my bitchiness for nine months."

"It's not fair to you that you have to deal with all these symptoms." I remind her.