Chapter Twenty-Three

He received the call the next day.

"Mr. Jeon," said an unfamiliar, accented voice. "Because of your father's death, we generously gave you extra time, but our patience is running short."

Wonwoo's mouth went dry. "I'm afraid I don't understand."

"We paid for a shipment of two hundred units and we expect it by Saturday."

"Units of what?"

"Don't play dumb with me, kid," the man said.

"I really don't know what you're talking about."

"Kidneys."

Wonwoo's stomach sank.

Fuck. Illegal organ trade. His father had been involved in illegal organ trafficking. Wonwoo wasn't sure why he was even surprised anymore. "Look, whatever my father promised, I know nothing about it—"

"I don't care, kid," the guy said gruffly. "I have buyers lined up. I want my goods. If I don't get them or you go yapping to the police, I'll come after your own damn organs."

He hung up before Wonwoo could even ask who was speaking.

Twelve hours later, Wonwoo sat in his father's former office, his face buried in his hands, frustration, anger, and fear twisting his insides after going through his father's computer.

He was in over his head. He had hoped to put an end to Jeon Industries' shady side of business quickly and painlessly—he had no intention of following in his father's footsteps—but it was easier said than done. There were apparently obligations his father—and now him in his stead—must fulfill before Wonwoo could wash his hands of this shit, and he had no idea what to do. His father's inner circle had never taken Wonwoo seriously, and they all fucked off somewhere after his father's death, either lying low or moving on with their lives. Wonwoo wanted to do the latter too, but first he had to sort out this mess somehow without screwing up, getting himself killed or arrested.

He wished he could just go to the authorities, but he wasn't naive enough to think the police would be able to find and arrest every single one of his father's associates. He would be dead within weeks if he did that. Not to mention that he didn't want the company's name dragged through the mud, which would inevitably happen if people found out about his father's illegal dealings.

Angry tears sprang to his eyes, and he brushed them away briskly. God, he'd never hated his dad more. It wasn't enough that he had been a shitty person and shitty dad; he had to get himself killed and leave this mess after himself.

Two hundred kidneys by Saturday.

A harsh laugh tore out of Wonwoo's throat. He was somehow supposed to get two hundred kidneys by Saturday or he would be dead—after what happened to his father, Wonwoo had little doubt that these people meant business.

He didn't know what to do.

He was utterly out of his depth. What could he even do?

Unless...

His hands shaking, Wonwoo pulled out his phone. He brought up his contacts list and scrolled through until he came to the one he needed.

Kim Mingyu.

He'd found Mingyu's number among his father's documents a few weeks ago and saved it, hating himself a little for doing it but doing it anyway. Since then, he had tried to delete it several times; he had, really, but something always stopped him. It was a good thing he hadn't. Rationally, Mingyu was the only person of his acquaintance who would know what to do in this situation. It was logical to call him. Wonwoo wasn't calling him because he wanted to hear Mingyu's voice or feel safe or something as pathetic as that.