A Nightmare of Losing You

Screams pierced the edges of Storm's sleep, making her toss and turn violently in bed, sweating. She sought desperately for Iris, the echoes of her agony and torment filling the air, driving Storm to the brink of madness.

"Iris? Iris?! IRIS!" Storm ran through an endless maze of corridors, each turn leading her further into the depths of despair. The sounds grew louder, more desperate, but no matter how hard she tried, Storm couldn't find the source. "IRIS, WHERE ARE YOU?"

Storm's voice was hoarse from calling out, heart pounding in her chest. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't think. She could barely even see. No matter where she turned, no matter where she looked, it was just an endless series of dungeon halls, dark stone comprising the floors, walls, and ceiling. The darkness and weight of the air were oppressive, but they had nothing on the shrill screams and pleas to stop that kept piercing the air.

"Iris, please, I need to find you...!" Storm stumbled, voice cracking with emotion. Somehow, Iris' screams became even more cacophonous, surrounding Storm on all sides. Now, she had no idea where to even try to look. She fell to her knees, sobbing. "I'm sorry, Iris! I'm so sorry I couldn't save you..." The scene shifted, and Storm felt dread rise in the pit of her stomach. When she finally looked over her shoulder, she gave another scream. Iris' mutilated body lay before her, bleeding out all over the stone floor.

Storm didn't even think as she gave a single, despairing cry, lunging at Iris' tiny body and scooping it up tight, holding it close to her chest. Iris had a pulse and was breathing, but barely. Storm's vision blurred as her gut and heart wrenched. Blood stained her arms.

"Stay with me, Iris, please!" Storm muttered, desperate as she tried to staunch the flow of blood from Iris' wounds, but there were just too many. Iris's eyes fluttered open, her purple gaze unfocused.

"I...I don't think I'm going to make it..." she rasped weakly.

"Don't say that!" Storm's voice cracked with emotion again, but she couldn't bring herself to make any false promises.

Iris managed a weak smile, reaching up to touch Storm's cheek. "I love you, Storm. I always will."

Tears welled up in Storm's eyes as she leaned down, pressing a gentle kiss to Iris's forehead. "I love you too, Iris. Please, don't leave me."

But Iris's body grew colder in her arms, her breathing becoming more labored. Storm felt a sense of helplessness wash over her as she realized she couldn't save the woman she loved.

"Iris, don't go, please!" Storm whimpered. Then her cries filled the air, replacing Iris'.

"I just wish you hadn't... let this happen..." Iris sighed weakly.

"Wh-what...?" Storm pulled away from Iris, struggling to see her through her tears.1

"This is your fault, Storm," Iris's voice was cold, filled with accusation. "You should have protected me. You let them do this to me...!"

"No, Iris, I tried, I swear," Storm pleaded, tears streaming down her face as she shook her head, mouth opening and closing in horror.

"You failed, Storm," Iris sighed, sad and tired and weak, fading faster and faster. "You didn't find me fast enough, and now, it's too late."

Storm sobbed once, continuing to apply pressure to Iris' wounds even though Iris' words were sinking in. But Storm continued to push the thoughts away, denying them. She felt a wave of guilt wash over her, a crushing weight that threatened to suffocate her. She looked into Iris's purple eyes, even though the disappointment and betrayal she saw reflected in them were torture in and of themselves.

"I'm sorry, Iris, I'm so sorry," Storm sobbed, her voice breaking as the light left Iris' purple eyes. She held Iris's lifeless body close, rocking back and forth, consumed by grief and self-loathing. "I wish it had been me instead...! If I could've, if I still could, I would trade with you..." She could barely even finish speaking through her tears and grit teeth.