38. Innocent squabbles

When Rudra and Shravani arrived at the canteen, all their friends and Ishita were already huddled around their regular table, extreme angst imprinted on their features. Ishita was busy tying the sacred thread around each of their wrists while expounding her theory of an energy balance requisite to win in the tussle against the lady in red.

"Full of positive energy these are." She tittered as she fastened the knot around Siya's wrist. "Even Rudra is wearing it, and I wanted all of you to adorn this as well."

Ayush twiddled the red thread on his wrist. "Did it work, Rudra?"

His lips thinning into a line, Rudra plopped next to Ranvir. "I haven't seen her in the last twenty-four hours. So... probably. Can't say for sure, though."

Shaking his head, Ranvir said, "I am willing to wear this if it means repelling the lady in red. I don't want to see her crawling on my ceiling."

Surbhi shuddered. "And I don't want to see her in my mirror."

Ayush grimaced. "I don't want to see her laughing at me in the middle of a lecture."

Siya pouted. "And I don't wish to receive another electric shock."

Aman clicked his tongue. "I don't want to see her next to me when the car is speeding on the highway."

"Exactly!" Ishita chirped. "Prevention is better than cure." Rounding towards Shravani, she said, "Hold your hand out."

Shravani's eyes swelled. "Me? Why me?"

"All of us are wearing it."

Shravani fumbled for a few moments, fiddling with the ends of her dupatta. Looking everywhere but at Ishita, she mumbled, "I am not even haunted by the stupid spirit. Why should I wear it?"

Siya's head tilted to a side, and a smirk developed on her lips. "Why are you scared, Shravani? Won't be able to control rusted nails and whatnot?"

"Rusted nails?" Rudra scowled. "What the hell are you talking about?"

Shravani's eyes burned with rage as she glowered at the beaming Siya. As all the confused gazes landed on her and then at the nerdy girl, she said, "I think Siya is still mad at me. During the trip, she had a small accident with a nail and had to get a tetanus shot. She is under the assumption that I am responsible for the mishap, but she is grossly mistaken. I don't control anything in this world, my dear Siya. I am a mere speck of dust. Like you are."

Siya's brows shot up. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

Shravani huffed and rolled her eyes. Leaning closer to Ishita, she whispered in the girl's ears, "I am on my period now. Put it in my bag, and I will wear it later."

Ishita's frown lines cleared, and she nodded. Maintaining the whisper, she said, "But what was Siya talking about?"

Shravani scoffed. "Don't mind, and I know she is very dear to Rudra, but she is a complete whackjob."

Ishita tittered as she cast nervous glances at the way Rudra and Siya were interacting with each other in hushed tones. "Don't say that to Rudra. He is very fond of Siya." Stuffing the sacred thread in Shravani's handbag, she said, "Wear it as soon as you can."