56. Colder than ice

The scene dissolved before Rudra could take a good look at Chitra's face, but he was dumbstruck. All his beliefs lay in tatters, and as his eyes snapped open, his gaze full of accusation went towards the still-smiling Shravani. There were two women. Two different women. And there was no room for doubt anymore. Irrespective of what Shravani said or Ishita had articulated before, the truth was crystal clear and in front of him. That could mean only one thing. Shravani had broken the trust he had placed in her.

Ishita drew away from him, sniffling. "I am sorry I cried in the middle of the road."

His hold on Shravani's wrist loosened. Gulping, he mumbled, "Let's go home."

Ishita nodded, walking back inside one of the nearest buildings to wash her face and make herself presentable. But Shravani was surprised at the way Rudra jerked her hand away and gaped at her in askance, accusation and disgust creeping on his face.

She giggled. "You can stop looking at me like that. I was not leaving or running away from you. I was not doubting you and Ishita either." As hurt flitted across his features, she rolled her eyes. "What is wrong with you? Speak up."

He heaved a deep sigh, rubbing his palms over his face. His voice turned serious and grave as he said, "Go home, Shravani. We will catch up later."

She pouted. "Won't we be spending some nice time together?"

"I need to take Ishita home," he muttered, fiddling with the keys of his bike.

"I understand," she murmured.

Kissing his cheeks, she went away to hail a cab for herself, her dupatta trailing behind as he was left rooted to the spot. The fluttering he always felt in his heart was feeble this time around, and his judgment was no longer clouded by the affection he held for her. Revelations had always been an enormous part of having those nightmares and dreams, but this time, it felt like a stab in the gut, a betrayal he couldn't take. As he watched her round a corner and disappear from his view after waving him goodbye, he was certain that Ishita had not been wrong about his girlfriend. He had been a fool to blindly trust her despite knowing her for a short period of time. After all, as it seemed, Shravani had been fabricating lies since the day they met.

Ishita came back soon with some of her hair sticking to her face, damp from the way she had splashed water all over herself, drenching her dress too. Her sobs had reduced to give way to mild sniffles. Wiping her crimson nose, she wordlessly peered at him, and he took the hint, guiding her towards his bike with a firm hold on her wrist. He yearned to tell her everything, but he was too dumbfounded to speak up and she was quite distraught about the breakup.

As she crawled on the bike behind him, the realization sunk in hard, and his grip on the handle tightened to the point of paining him. He didn't even notice when, in his angst, he drove all the way over to his house since his focus was entirely on reminiscing every moment he had spent with Shravani. Lies they had all been.

When Ishita hopped down, she had somewhat composed herself. Hence, after studying his stiffened posture and twitching jaws, she was troubled. "Rudra? All good?"

He briefly glimpsed at her. "Take care."

He was about to let his bike roll for another few meters when she gently placed her palm over his shoulder, shaking her head. "Tell me now."

Warmth seeped into his heart at the touch. He had missed it. He had missed the rosy fragrance she boasted of. And he had missed her. Up close she hadn't been in over a week, and they ignored each other, for they fought pointlessly. Spending some time to take a closer look at her plump cheeks and vibrant eyes, he said, "Don't cry like that. Ever again."