48. A new dream

Even from a distance, he was repulsed by the most hideous princess he had ever seen in his life. Clammy hands, a pallor on the skin which could scare anyone, red bangles hiding her white wrists, chapped and dried lips, the veil coming up to her nose, hiding the chipped nose and the empty eye sockets. As the death of Siya, the attempt at Nidhi's life, and all their brewing troubles crossed his mind, he sensed fury rearing its ugly head inside his mind, and he was no longer terrified or intimidated by what was his first real sighting of the ghost.

He cleared his throat, peering at the slightly blurry outline of the lady in red. "Well, I am meeting you for the first time. In flesh and blood." He sniggered. "I mean in," he gestured at her, "spirit and... ghost? That doesn't sound right, does it?"

The sharp intake of her breath indicated that she was irked with whatever he had uttered, but before she could open her mouth and express her displeasure, a raucous creaking tore through the night air. Both their attentions were drawn towards the source of the sound—the opening of the door to Ishita's house. He heard a faint pop from his right, and he was amused to see that the lady in red had disappeared right before Ishita peeked her head out.

"Rudra?"

Her mellifluous voice resounded in his ears and a strange calmness washed over him. "Do you need something?"

She exited the safety of her house, and he was prompted to tell her not to since Kalavati was lurking around, but then he was intrigued to see what she had to say.

Strolling to the front garden, she let her palms grip the swing. "I thought I heard your voice, so I came out to check. Whom were you talking to?"

He chuckled. "No one."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Really?"

He shrugged.

Shaking her head, smiling at him, she swerved and continued to retreat towards the door.

"How do you do it?"

She halted in her tracks and veered, her brows knitting in puzzlement. "Sorry?"

"How do you," he took cautious steps towards her, "do it?"

She rolled her eyes. "I don't know what you are talking about."

He stopped when she was an inch away from her. A sudden tug on her forearms, and she collided against him. She had barely gasped in surprise at the motion and at the way his arms had locked behind her waist when shock rattled her senses as he quickly kissed her cheeks.

"Every time when any of us are about to be in danger, you save us. Just like you did today. With Nidhi. Every single time. And you can't deny it anymore."

She glanced up at him. Too close, their noses touching, their breaths interspersing, and she felt uncomfortable. Squirming under his gaze, she said, "I am sure it's just a coincidence."

"No." He tucked her hair behind her ears and pecked her forehead as gently as possible. "You are the savior."

She scoffed. "If what you are saying were indeed true, I would have saved Siya. I couldn't. That means all of it is just a coincidence."

He continued to peer at her unblinkingly, letting his orbs dart all over her cute features. Her plump cheeks, her eyes swirling with innocence, the adorable little nose she possessed, and the extremely inviting lips she owned. "No. You and us... we have some connection. I don't know what it is, but it exists. And I am glad we are friends now."

"I am glad too," she murmured.

He loosened his grip from around her, and she went back inside. Before shutting the door close, she bade him good night, but he kept rooted at his spot long after she had retreated. If it were at all possible, he would not waste another second before keeping her close round the clock. He knew it was incredibly stupid, unbelievably selfish, but he also knew that everyone would be safe in her presence. An angel in disguise? Perhaps, yes.