17. Raghuveer Singh

The stone fortifications encapsulated the fortress on all sides while a natural boundary forged out of the surrounding hills engulfed it from three sides. Nestled between the mounds from the three directions, the main gates were the only legal entryway inside. The dilapidated fortifications and ramparts did serve as illegal entry points at certain places, though.

A sloping path meandered from the gates, curving upward to reach the residential areas and the palace complex. In ruins stood the remnant memories of a tremendous and elegant bazaar that lined both sides of the street. According to the guide—Raghuveer Singh—it was called the Jauhari Bazaar and was the primary marketplace teeming with shopkeepers and shoppers. Products ranging from bangles and perfumes to vegetables and pulses, everything could be found at the market.

But even as Rudra could perceive the decrepit ruins from beyond the main door at the arched entryway, thanks to the metal bars comprising the newly installed gate, his focus was entirely on the entrance itself. Fashioned out of stone, an arch reminiscent of the classical style of Rajputana architecture, the entryway was massive in height and very wide at the base. Words tumbled out of his mouth. "What happened to the huge wooden door?"

Siya frowned. "Which wooden door?"

The guide chuckled. "It got knocked down when Bhangarh was attacked by the enemy kingdom nearly four centuries ago."

Rudra had his lips parted in surprise as he recollected an instance from his nightmares where the enemies were trying to break open a gigantic wooden door. Though fleeting and blurry, he had seen it far too many times in the last eight years to disregard the commonality found. Shunning that thought a moment later, he ambled through the doorway, following the rest of the clique and the old guide.

As soon as Siya entered, an unnatural chill passed through her entire self. Goosebumps arose on her skin, and she was coerced into rubbing the skin on the nape of his neck. "What was that?" she squeaked.

Ayush was right behind her. "What happened?"

The hairs on her arm stood up. "I felt really cold for a sudden before it subsided instantly."

The guide said, "So many negative energies find their home here. Evil spirits, djinns, sorcerers, ghosts. For the better part of four centuries, they have lived here." He shrugged. "Must be one of them."

Though he walked ahead after making the statement in a highly nonchalant fashion, the rest of them were left in a state of unease as they glanced at each other and swallowed hard.

Ranvir giggled out of nervousness when Surbhi's eyes glossed over with unshed tears. "The guides need to bolster the image of the fort to attract tourists, Surbhi." He slung his arm around her shoulders. "Don't be scared. We are here."

Surbhi sniffled, toying with the buttons of Ranvir's shirt. "I don't wanna die because of stupid ghosts."

Aman ruffled her hair. "Silly girl. Ranvir is right. These are fables to ensure the tag of being the most haunted place in India remains intact."

Rudra was barely paying attention to what was being said. The narrow winding path with stones forging the floor—cracked and creviced—had the roofless ruins of the shops on either side while the greenery all around enhanced the aesthetics. Trees and shrubs, cacti and jades, rocks and boulders haphazardly lying together to form a jumbled but highly natural gradient rose from the three sides, but towards the back of the fort, the perceptible palace complex intrigued him, drew him towards itself.

Covering the entirety of the length of the hillock behind, the palace seemed to be made out of stone boulders having been huddled together and cemented with a mixture that withstood the test of time. Arch-shaped windows were visible across the length while the broken ruins of the roof could be seen even from a great distance. Something called him closer, beckoning him to enter the premises and stay there. Stay, for this was home. Stay, for he had returned home after... after years. A shiver rushed down his spine the moment he crossed the threshold, and a sigh escaped his lips. "Let's go, guys."