29. Arguments and accidents

Though it had been over an hour and a half since Nidhi encountered the mishap and Ishita got injured, it felt like years had passed inside the Sharma household. Despite being a Sunday evening, the mood was anything but cheerful. Nidhi was pushed a sedative by the doctor who visited her right after Ishita went back home because the young girl was too frightened and too agitated. Hence, Nidhi was sleeping soundly without a single frown adorning her features. Meanwhile, Avinash was in his home office, wrapping up a few official calls of moderate importance. Shweta, on the other hand, had spent the last hour sitting inside the little temple tucked in the corner between the kitchen door and the wall of the dining area. Mumbling prayers as tears jogged down her cheeks incessantly, she had her palms joined together in reverence.

Rudra was in the living area, watching Shweta light up the lamp in front of the series of idols. He didn't hold much belief in Gods and power residing in the skies above, but he hoped the Supreme Almighty, if existent, would listen to the mother's prayers and spare Nidhi from whatever negativity she was encompassed with. He was about to get up from the couch and head up the stairs to check Nidhi when the doorbell rang, and he retraced his steps to the entrance.

Swinging the wooden door open, his eyes swelled in shock when he saw the affable smile on the pretty girl's face as Shravani tucked her hair behind her ears and peeked at him. "You? Here?"

Her smile faltered, and she frowned. "Are you not happy to see me?"

He chortled and shook his head, gesticulating at her to amble inside. "Of course I am happy. I wasn't expecting you. That's all."

"Well," she stepped in, "you sounded angry over the call this morning. So, I thought I would pay you a visit."

He rolled his eyes. "I was angry because you didn't respond to my calls or text all day yesterday. All of our friends attended the veneration at my place but my girlfriend didn't. I was disappointed."

She tittered. "I am here now."

"Who is she, Rudra?"

His head snapped towards Shweta standing behind the couch. She had a puzzled expression on her features as she peered at Shravani with her brows furrowed. Studying the young girl for a few more seconds, comprehension dawned on her, and she spoke up before Rudra could respond. "Shravani, right?" A grin cracked on her face. "I have seen your pictures on Rudra's phone."

Shravani went ahead and dipped down to seek blessings from the woman. "How are you, Aunty?"

Shweta giggled and pulled the girl into a hug. "Don't make me feel old."

Avinash came down the stairs after hearing the new voice from the living room, and he was surprised to meet the young woman who had his son smitten within a short span of time. Shravani went ahead to touch his feet too while Rudra formally introduced the girl to his parents, and the four of them proceeded to sit down on the two couches present in the living area.

"You are a student in the English Department, isn't it?" Shweta said. "Dr. Shinde and her troop."

Shravani bobbed her head. "She is the head of the department, and she is a phenomenal professor."

"I have heard good things about her, yes." Shweta beamed. "So, you met Rudra via Surbhi and Aman, I am surmising."

Shravani hummed. "Yeah, we are in the same class."

Avinash leaned ahead on the sofa. "What does your father do?"

Shravani fiddled with the ends of her dupatta as she let out a slow, rash breath. Blinking a few times, she looked everywhere but at Avinash. "M-my fa-father?"