1. The girl in the dreams

Swords were clanking at a distance as a bloody battle raged on. The utterly gory scene from the battlefield outside the main gates of the city was adequate for goosebumps to rise on even the most chivalrous man's skin. Blood was splattered on the stone walls of the fortress. Intruders clad in all black were clashing with the soldiers of the kingdom dressed in a crimson kurta and white dhoti. Blades were drawn all around while the tips stood smeared with a red hue, liquid droplets dripping with each slight movement of the sabers. Battle cries resounded from every nook and cranny of the city. Chaos and destruction reigned on all sides. A few senior chiefs of the defending troops had their armor on as they tried to fend off the early morning ambush by riding their horses and aiming to finish the enemies off before they could dare to enter the town.

The sun was barely coming up the horizon while the public was already in a frenzy, running hither and thither to save themselves from the incoming flurry of arrows as they rained from outside the fortifications—courtesy of the army laying a siege. Greenery was scantily perceptible, and the few trees here and there had shed their leaves. The uneven rocky terrain of the fortress—it was situated atop a hill—appeared pristine until the soldiers and commanders charged down the slopes to head towards the main wooden entrance of the fort.

The massive wooden gate was sealed shut by the troopers busy defending their motherland. The commanders lined up in front of the door, perched on their reliant stallions, echoing their battle cry over and over again to pump up courage in the foot soldiers. Swords, bows, arrows, knives, spears, and all such weapons were ready to be thrown in case the nemeses were successful in transgressing the barriers. The door, fashioned out of four individual wooden panels and rising up to thirty feet in height, was clattering as people tried to throw it open from the outside.

One of the commanders fixed the metal helmet over his head with a determined expression on his face. "Ready to defend our motherland?" he shrieked.

"Yes!" came a resounding response from every soldier around.

"Charge at my order!"

Away from the battle, atop the tallest tower of the town bordering a hill, the thick rampart separating the fortress from the striking natural mounds, stood a young man and a beautiful damsel embracing each other, hoping to find a few final moments of solace. He was busy running a hand over her long hair in a gentle manner while she continued weeping into his chest, clutching onto his frayed clothes. Crimson blood was oozing out of a deep gash across his chest, and her green blouse was getting drenched and dyed in the hue of red. However, both didn't seem to pay attention to it.

He gently tugged her away when a raucous blast befell his ears from the main gate. He craned his neck to take a good look at what was happening at the entrance, and his breathing turned ragged. The sturdy wooden door had withstood enough strikes from the foes and was on the verge of coming off its hinges. Taking a deep breath, he centered his attention on the weeping woman. A frown creased his handsome features upon seeing the freshet of tears cascading down her cheeks. Her lips trembled, and her hands shivered as she found herself unable to articulate. He gently wiped the tears away and leaned closer to her ears, murmuring soothing words, a promise...

The loud clattering and rattling from the entrance grew intense, and he shut his eyes in exasperation. Shaking his head one last time at the girl, he swerved around and began striding down the ramparts. She watched him go while her tears didn't stop. A heart-wrenching wail slipped past her throat, and she collapsed on her knees, scraping the delicate skin as it came in contact with the rough stones from over the fabric of her green lehenga.

Even though he heard her cry behind him, he had to steel his heart and continue downward until he reached the stables where the horses were itching to charge straight into the battle. He approached a particularly handsome one boasting of jet black coat and strong loins. Smiling affectionately at the beast, he hopped on its back.