Claw Marks

Image by Spaghettihaymitch

         A few days later, RiverClan had gone to the gathering. WindClan had not confessed that they had stolen prey from them. Pikestar had been furious and had come back to camp declaring war on WindClan. Snowkit was terrified, it almost seemed she had broken her promise to keep RiverClan battle-free. So, the day after, Pikestar declared they would attack WindClan that night.

"When the first sign of dusk has gone and only Silverpelt lay in the sky, we shall attack. And show our ancestors the sins WindClan has shown us. The peace they have broken!" Pikestar had yowled that morning. Yowls of agreement had rattled the camp. Snowkit had stayed in the nursery for this one. Thrushblaze hadn't been in there so she was with Smokekit. He was as much afraid as she was for the coming war.

"I hope this is the only battle." Snowkit had told him. Smokekit nodded, his tail low. Wars were often many battles a moon until one Clan gave up or lost.

"I just don't want anyone I love to die," Smokekit mentioned nervously. "I've seen the battle moves the apprentices do in the camp sometimes. I don't want to see them inflicted on my Clanmates! Plus, we don't know how strong WindClan is." Snowkit frowned.

"Pikestar told me that we're stronger because we are well-fed and WindClan cats are weaker because they are starving." Snowkit objected. That made Smokekit a little reassured, but not much.

"I guess Pikestar is right after all. She is our leader and knows far more than we do." he had meowed. He curled his tail over his small black paws. "It just makes me nervous. My belly churns and I feel like I want to run and hide!" Snowkit brushed her tail over his back.

"Everything will be fine. We have an entire camp of warriors to protect us. Besides, we're not fighting in it. So let's play! You never taught me how to play the watch the warrior game." Snowkit encouraged. Smokekit smiled and stood up.

"So you just watch the warrior and make up a story to what they're doing..."

⎝⎝\|/⎠⎠

That had been a couple of hours ago. They had played the day away with games and moss. But now, Pikestar was gathering up her warriors, Rushheart, Stonetail, Pearshine, Applefur, Troutfin, Otterclaw, Lakefern, and Duskpaw. Snowkit gulped as she saw her leader's face twisted with pure anger on WindClan, nothing like the soft smile she had received before. Snowkit was at the entrance of the nursery, while Smokekit and his littermates were with their mother and father, Troutfin saying their goodbyes. Snowkit felt a feeling of longing of never knowing what it was like to have someone you love in danger.

"Let's head out RiverClan." Pikestar hissed, tail lashing and her teeth bared. "I want to teach those rabbit chasers a lesson!" she yowled and began to charge for the entrance. Her battle patrol followed with the same fury in their eyes. It scared Snowkit to see any cat in such anger and hatred, but in some ways, the energy in the air felt good and exciting.

"Good luck out there!"

"Give WindClan a good swipe for me!"

"Go get 'em!"

Snowkit realized the cats around her began to yowl, so she joined in. After it died down, a few warriors took formations in front of the nursery where Thrushblaze and her kits were returning. Some cats gathered around the elder's den, ready to defend it if a WindClan patrol attacked the heart of RiverClan while most of the RiverClan warriors were away. Snowkit thought she had better get back to the nursery, so she began to rush over to Thrushblaze and Thrushblaze's kits. When she entered the nursery, Thrushblaze already had her tail wrapped around her kits as they began to fall asleep.