River of Possibilities

Snowpaw stared wide-eyed at Smokekit, still trying to comprehend that he had followed her from camp unseen. And even still Snowpaw had not noticed the fluffy black kit.

"W-why?" Was all she could manage out, still surprised. He was the last one she expected to see, especially since everyone thought that she killed his mother. Smokekit looked up at her, his eyes looked like a senior warrior. Full of intelligence and experience.

"I know you did not kill my mother. The devastation in your eyes is true. It's the same look you would get when my mother punished you. Pure and true downfall. If you had faked it, managing to act it out would be nearly impossible." Smokekit told her, still looking up at her. "I followed you because I wanted to come with you. You are my friend and I have to make sure you come out okay. Or, I would never forgive myself." he squeaked.

Snowpaw's heart wanted to break into two. This kit's mother had just died and he left his Clan for her. Tears came to her eyes. She never thought someone would do that for her. Though, she shook her head and wiped away the tears with one paw quickly.

"Smokekit, this is so nice of you. But I can't let you come with me. Others need you back at camp. Like your dad, your siblings, your Clan." Snowpaw told him. Smokekit frowned and shook his head.

"There is no way I am leaving. Following you was hard enough." he insisted. Snowpaw sighed. She wanted him to go back, but at the same time, she wanted him to stay. Snowpaw lashed her tail and put her face real close to his.

"Look, I do not need your protection. RiverClan does! You need to grow up into a big strong warrior so you can defeat WindClan. Without you, RiverClan warriors may die." she briskly informed him. A flash of warrior spirit sparked Smokekit's eyes.

"Die?" he echoed.

"Yes. So you need to hurry back, little warrior. Your dad will be worried, and he is probably already upset enough. And if you hurry, Pikestar may not catch you and cancel your apprentice ceremony!" Snowpaw exclaimed. Smokekit perked up at this and nodded. He began to rush back down the twoleg path then stopped. He looked over his shoulder.

"Be safe, alright?" Smokekit called to her. Snowpaw smiled and went over to him. She touched her nose against his.

"Of course, I will be. I was a RiverClan apprentice after all." Snowpaw chuckled. Smokekit smiled and then dashed off down the path and then crashed through the thicket. Snowpaw tried to push the thought that came rushing to her head about the horrors that had unfolded earlier. It was nearly dawn, and she needed to find a place to sleep. If she changed a nocturnal schedule, she could avoid other cats by day, and hunt owls or something by nightfall. She sniffed the air, and to her horror, she realized she was on WindClan territory.

"No, no, no!" she gasped. Snowpaw heard paw steps. She pricked her ears and glanced around, eyes round with fear. She felt like there was a stone in her stomach. She hoped that it was just a rabbit or maybe a rogue. Maybe even Smokekit again! Unfortunately, when a strong scent of WindClan filled her nose all hope melted inside her. She did not try to run, because she knew that they would easily catch her. Hiding would be useless, they could just follow her scent and she had no time to disguise it.

Out slipped three cats, one a cream she-cat with splotches of gray tabby markings all over her body and green eyes and a little bit of holly in her hair. The second, is a small ginger tom with blue eyes. His paws and tail tip were white. Third, a muscular she-cat who was black with a silver stripe going from her striped head to the tip of her tail with deep brown eyes.