Red-Eyed

"We're playing," Smokekit told her. "We aren't going out of the den." Thrushblaze narrowed her eyes. Snowkit shrunk down. She was scared and angry. Not at Smokekit. She would be angry if Thrushblaze punished her or Smokekit.

"I told you to stay away from her!" Thrushblaze hissed. Her tail lashed. "She's a troublemaker." Smokekit narrowed her eyes at her.

"No! Everything she does in an accident!" Smokekit protested. Snowkit cringed. Those were the words she had told him and his littermates. She hoped Thrushblaze wouldn't put the pieces together and find out she was criticizing her.

"Oh really?" Thrushblaze snarled. She looked to Snowkit. "Stay away from my kits or else." Snowkit felt like she wanted to cry. Smokekit squeaked in protest.

"Mommy! Please, no! She's so lonely." he pleaded. Thrushblaze picked him up by the scruff. Rookkit and Fernkit watched from there. nests. Smiles were plastered across their faces mockingly.

"Lonely or not, she is a bad influence." Thrushblaze hissed. "Stay away from her or else, Smokekit. No, I'm going to take a walk. Some of the apprentices will watch over you all. And be sure that you stay away from Snowkit." Thrushblaze eyed both Snowkit and Smokekit. She narrowed her eyes and walked away from the two apprentices, Minnowpaw and her littermate, Duskpaw. She couldn't hear what Thrushblaze was saying to them but she could make out the queen's harsh tone.

Probably telling them about me. She thought sadly. Snowkit never knew why every cat hated her. She used to think they were just creeped out by her red eyes, and no cat knew why she had them. But it was something else. They would have eventually gotten used to it by now and would treat her like any other kit. Snowkit sighed and went back to her nest. Smokekit's scent was still on it. She could feel his gaze hard on her from the other side of the den.

Just then, the apprentices walked in. Minnowpaw eyed her crossly. Duskpaw was a bit kinder and ignored her. He looked at the other kits. Rookkit and Fernkit wove around the ginger tabby's white paws.

"What are we going to do today?" Fernkit asked excitedly. She was bouncing up and down. Duskpaw smiled.

"Glad you asked," Duskpaw replied. Snowkit didn't care to hear the rest. She just sat in her nest alone. She noticed Minnowpaw walk up to Smokekit and decided to listen in.

"Come on, Squirt, let's go play moss ball," Minnowpaw told him. A hint of frustration lined her voice. Smokekit grumbled.

"I'll only do it if Snowkit does too," he told her firmly. Snowkit felt a wave of shock goes down her nose to her tail tip. Someone's finally standing up for me. She looked up at the two cats and smiled.

"Snowkit is a troublemaker. She's no better than a fox." Minnowpaw sneered. Snowkit frowned. She was too better than a fox!

"If I'm like a fox," Snowkit began loudly. By now Rookkit, Fernkit, and Duskpaw were not paying attention. Miinowpaw whirled around and stared at her. Her green eyes narrowed. Smokekit watched in amazement. "... then wouldn't you be scared of me? It was but a few days ago when you ran back to camp with your tail between your legs because of a fox. Wouldn't that mean you're scared of me?"

Minnowpaw hissed.

"That's not what I meant, red-eyes," Minnowpaw growled. She stalked forward to Snowkit. "In all, you should be scared of me. I could tear you to pieces right now if I wanted to!" Snowkit put on a fake scared face with sarcastic fear.

"Oh, I'm so scared!" Snowkit acted. She stood up taller until her and Minnowpaw's noses were almost touching. "I bet you, you wouldn't do it." For a moment, Snowkit wished she could eat those words, because what if Minnowpaw did kill her? Most of the Clan would probably be grateful anyway.