The servant and the prince

Merlin was now older, he knew magic wasn't something that you should be playing around with. He had seen what it could do. He had seen death and destruction being caused by it. Because of all the evil most people thought of magic as bad and dangerous. One of those people was Uther Pendragon, king of Camelot. He despised it, everything and everyone who possessed magic was automatically a treat to him, including Merlin. No one knew of Merlin's magic, no one except for Gaius, The court physician and the man Merlin was currently living with.

He also had a destiny which was to protect Uther's son Arthur and his destiny had a funny way of ensuring that he would. Merlin became Arthur's manservant after he saved the Prince from a witch who wished to kill him. Uther had said it was a reward, to help the prince but really all he did everyday was cleaning Arthurs clothes, polishing his armour and cleaning out the stables and after doing all of that he also had to save the Prince's arse because it was his destiny. What a reward. Sometimes it was nice though, the days when Arthur decided to be gentle with him were always good. Sometimes they would spend days in the woods hunting but Merlin was smart enough to know they wouldn't be hunting when they went alone. They would sit for hours and talk, Arthur would call it spying for animals but Merlin had seen so many different animals pass them that he'd know it wasn't. Arthur wasn't all that bad, Merlin would never admit that to anyone ever but he didn't have to, everyone who knew him knew he cared for the Prince. And everyone who knew Arhtur also knew he too cared for his manservant. They were friends, best of friends. If you spend every day together with someone and you're always by their side you'd suppose that's what you would become. Friends.

Today was one of those days. Merlin was making his way to the Prince's bedchambers. He was holding a plate with Arthur's breakfast, the usual bread and fruit. In his other hand was a basket filled with some clean clothes, because of his hands being full the piece of bread he had sneaked out for himself was secured between his teeth. He ran through the corridors up the stairs and passed several servants who were used to the boy running late almost every morning.

"Rise and shine" He said, the sound of his voice muffled through the bread in his mouth as he ran into the room accidentally slamming the door behind him. Arthur laid in his bed still turning away from Merlin when he heard him come in. "Merlin you're late" Arthur said, burying his head in his pillow as Merlin opened the curtains letting the morning light into the room. Arthur looked up at Merlin squinting his eyes. "Again" he added, a little annoyed.

Merlin smiled and walked over to Arthur. "Great seeing you too sire" He said, looking down at the Prince. "Now up we go" He said, taking ahold of Arthur under his arms lifting him

– more like dragging him – out of the bed. "Merlin!" Arthur yelped as he felt himself being lifted fighting dully against the servants grip. "What?" Merlin asked with an innocent look on his face when Arhtur turned to look at him. Arthur just rolled his eyes and walked over to his table and his breakfast. Merlin just smiled and joined him

That was quite normal now, Merlin joining Arhtur in the mornings eating whatever he was able to take from the kitchen that day. "So you have a meeting with your father this morning and training with the knights" Merlin said, starting to list all the things Arthur needed to do. Arthur didn't really listen, he just looked at Merlin while he talked, he would ask someone else about it later anyway cause Merlin always forgot something. "Then you're free for the rest of the day I think" Merlin finished, He frowned a little when he noticed Arthur was staring at him. "What?" He said a little confused looking around as if looking for someone "do I have something on my face?" Arthur just smiled returning to his food. "No" He said shortly and smiled a little with the side of his mouth "I'm going hunting later" When he said I he usually meant we so Merlin just nodded knowing he had to have two horses ready for both of them later that day.

The rest of the day went on as usual. Arthur talked with his father the king after he was dressed and then he and Merlin went out to the training grounds outside of the castle for Arthur to train the knights. Merlin as usual sat a little further away and watched them from afar. Sometimes Arthur would ask him to do stuff like hold a target or act like his opponent but that wasn't often seeing as to how bad he was at it.

Arthur went to his chambers after practice to "do some paperwork" and Merlin was left by himself. He thought it was for the best to start preparing the horses for their "hunt". Merlin walked alone through the empty halls until he reached the stables. He went over to two horses that stood next to each other. one hazel brown and the other black. Arthur's was the brown one and Merlin usually got to ride the black stallion.

After an hour or so they were both ready, Merlin was standing by his horse packing some food for the ride and other things that could be necessary. Arthur walked out of the castle and down the stone steps to Merlin. He patted him on the shoulder, startling Merlin a little who hadn't seen him come. "We are ready to go any moment, sire" Merlin said looking up at Arthur who stood beside him. "Right, you know I said I was going hunting" Arthur said smiling a little "Yeah but someone needs to take care of you" Merlin answered teasingly. Arthur just smacked him on the back of his head with his glove walking away to his own horse. "Thanks" Merlin said sarcastically, rubbing the back of his head before jumping onto his own horse.

You made it to the end! So this one was a little longer than the first chapter and I'm going to try and make the other chapters around the same length so I hope that's okay. I really love Merlin and especially the relationship between Merlin and Arthur and this is my coping after the final so dont expect to much and once again, I hope you enjoy it,

bye <3