Chapter 44: One Step Closer

*Alora POV*

After Ominis father left the room, we were ushered up the stairs of the home, following behind their butler, Theordore, who took us to Ominis old bedroom.

It was nothing really special as far as bedrooms goes. The black furniture complimented the sleigh bed included with a few dressers off to the side. There was a brick fireplace in front of the bed with two chairs off to the sides. A bookcase in which I immediately went to with no thoughts. Running my hands along the spine of the books, noticing all of it in braille.

"Thank you, Theodore." Ominis said quietly behind me.

I didn't hear anything other than him stating that dinner would be in a few hours in which we were encouraged to attend, if not, then the food would be brought to our rooms as a request.

When the doors shut behind him, leaving me and Ominis finally alone, I felt the weight of my mistakes hit me whole.

What did I just do......

How do I get out of this now.......

I turned to see Ominis, beside himself. Standing awkwardly in his own room. His white orbs following the walls, till his eyes finally found me.

"This room...... hasn't changed from the moment I've left it..." He said quietly.

"Ominis...."

Our hearts, beating frantically together. Knowing deep down in this mess of chaos, one in which I've brought down on us both.

I wanted to crumble......

I wanted to shy away from the light.......

But there were no windows, just the chandelier illuminating a soft yellow light.

I looked around the room, taking it its features. Trying to picture him, living here. Waking up every morning, breathing in the air.

"Despite the circumstances..... your room is-.... quite nice." I said softly. I looked around again, in the other corner was a desk, a quill and paper at the ready with ink on the side.

"...really isn't much to it." He said, going to sit on the edge of the bed.

Shit....... I didn't even think of the bed situation......

"Ominis-"

"I told you."

I huffed out a breath, coming to sit on the opposite side of the bed, facing away from him as my eyes once again ran down the side of the bookcase.

Yes....... yes you did.........

"And once again........ I refuse to listen."

Ominis slightly chuckled, "Wouldn't be the first time, Alora."

I looked over my shoulder, his eyes facing towards the door.

"Bad habits don't die easily, I suppose......"

Silence seemed to fall in between the two of us.

There were only really two options in how I saw us getting out of this. One, we went through with everything and then after being admitted into the family they would have no issues letting me seek below.... or two.......... finding a way down there before the ceremony in hopes the woman is down there and willing to give us the information without complication and being caught. Either choice........... was risky and even then, was a gamble of fate.

"Alora listen......" He sighed, turning towards me in the bed, his one knee now laying on the mattress as he turned himself, "I-..........I-"

"What did your father mean by "rejected suitors", Ominis?" I interjected.