Chapter 383. Death Penalty (2)

The High Court Judge feared that the couple would involve the Emperor, to try to mitigate their crime, no matter whether it was true or false. He was horrified as he quickly calculated his responsibility for what was about to happen.

But the audience, protected by anonymity, had nothing to fear. The Emperor would not punish all those who came to watch.

"Emperor Sovieshu does not know."

However, the Isqua couple's reply defied expectations.

"Rashta promised us that if she became the Empress, she would help us find our daughters and bestow all kinds of riches on us."

"We conspired with Rashta to deceive Emperor Sovieshu."

"We don't have to lie about this."

"If necessary, we can do a paternity test with Rashta."

Rashta wanted to scream, 'No, His Majesty Sovieshu knew I was a slave.'

Sovieshu didn't know about the Isqua couple's background, but he did know that Rashta's real parents were not nobility.

Besides, it was Duke Elgy who brought the Isquas.

'Why is this matter being discussed?'

Rashta felt sunken and aggrieved. She wanted to stop the false accusations and clarify the matter for everyone. However, she couldn't do it because she had come in secret. She stared at the broken eggs and crushed fruits scattered on the floor. Rashta shuddered as she imagined what would happen if she stepped forward now to refute the couple's statements.

The High Court Judge, who had remained silent for a while, left the courtroom and entered a small meeting room with other important officials to decide the sentence.

Considerable time passed, but the Judge still didn't come out. The audience remained in place. Not a single person left. N0v3lTr0ve served as the original host for this chapter's release on N0v3l-B1n.

Before Rashta realized it, not only the Isqua couple, but also Viscount Roteschu and Alan were at the defendants' site. She noticed the Isqua couple and Viscount Roteschu exchanging strange glances. The couple glared at Viscount Roteschu with hatred.

Others might think the exchange was insignificant, but not Rashta...

'Viscount Roteschu told them about Evely.'

Rashta understood the situation at once. Otherwise, there was no reason for the Isqua couple to suddenly change their position, nor for them to look at Viscount Roteschu like that.

When the High Court Judge finally appeared, the loud talkers fell silent, as if they had reached an unspoken agreement. The Judge returned to his seat, raised his gavel and rapped his desk several times with a solemn expression. He recited the charges of Viscount Roteschu, Alan and the Isqua couple, one by one. He then added a few personal words and issued the sentence firmly.

"Roteschu Rimwell. Death penalty."

"Alan Rimwell. Death penalty."

"Gillimt Isqua. Death penalty."

"Marsha Isqua. Death penalty."

***

The Eastern Empire wanted me to testify as an affected party in the promissory note case.

I could also testify in other cases, but the Eastern Empire was most interested in my detailed testimony about the promissory notes.

Heinley asked me to think it over. That night we went to sleep in each other's arms without saying anything.