four

_

The halls of Beacon Hills felt more crowded than usual as Asher found herself shoving her small body through a densely packed wall of her peers.

"What the hell?" she mumbled, gagging at the odor of someone's unwashed armpits as she forced her way through the last little bit of the wall.

Once she was free of her unclean classmates, she smoothed her shirt back out and pushed her hair back out of her face. When she looked up, she realized what they'd all been gathered around for.

There was another new girl, but this one was far from being welcomed by Lydia—far from it.

Her hair was the deepest natural red that Asher had ever seen, and had the energy radiating from this girl not been so negative Asher probably would have found herself crushing on the girl. Pretty felt like such an inadequate word to describe her physical appearance, but something was telling Asher that her personality did not match. She cooks tell by the way she was looking at Lydia, as though she was sizing her up.

Another witch. Not like you.

Asher was beginning to get used to the voice that often accompanied her, but still couldn't help but find it unsettling at times.

The girl reached out, flicking one of Lydia's perfectly placed curls off of her shoulder.

Asher's body stiffened, angry heat rising so her face as she watched this girl try her hardest to intimidate Lydia Martin.

She didn't know why, she'd only just started talking to Lydia recently—but something about Lydia felt different. Lydia was something Asher could turn to to feel normal, she was a lighthouse amidst the storm Asher found herself in the center of. Lydia, Allison, and Isaac were hers in a way that nothing else was. They were her safe haven among new supernatural surprises.

And this girl was actively threatening Lydia.

Across the hall she noticed Isaac standing by the lockers with Eli and Allison, all watching as Lydia seemed to be growing increasingly more irritated with the new girl's presence.

She stepped forward, closing the gap between herself and her friends and slammed a hand down against the cold metal. Asher's chipped black nail polish and random assortment of rings was the first thing the girl saw, startling her a little.

"Hey Lyd, is she bothering you?"

Behind her, the witch scoffed, "She can hear you."

Asher whipped her head around to face her, taking in the heavy scent of perfume and the cocky smirk painted over her plate features;

"And I'm supposed to give a shit?"

The girl, clearly taken aback, stepped back and seemed to be taking in the sight of Asher—recognition gleaming in her dark eyes.

"I've heard about you."

"So you've heard that these are my friends then? Messing with people's friends on your first day isn't a good look, sweetheart. I don't take kindly to people fucking with people I care about." Asher shrugged, watching as the girl seemed to accept the challenge of creating enemies.

"This is our town, love. Not yours. Learn your place." Asher reminded her, watching as Jackson made his way through the crowd finally.

How come I do a better job of making his girlfriend look good than he does?