seven

_

Asher spotted her friends standing by entrance to the school, in the same place they always waited for her. Isaac was standing next to Eli, his sandy colored curls illuminated by the morning sunlight. He stared down at his notebook with one earbud hanging lazily down the left side of his chest. It was tangled with the other one, both dangerously close to getting caught in the zipper on his jacket.

She thought about their conversation the night before, how they'd agreed to stay friends but had both admitted to not being able to stay away from each other. She knew that not being able to kiss him in front of anyone was going to be hard, especially when he looked at her the way that he did. He was, in every way, the most beautiful boy she had ever laid eyes on.

She almost felt bad for wanting him all to herself.

She stopped in front of Eli, just as Isaac stuffed his notebook back into his bookbag. She knew he wasn't going to be in the best of spirits that day, as it was coming up on the anniversary of the day his father had given him the news about his brother.

Isaac was never given any information at all on his brother's death. His father had simply dropped the news on him as though it was the most casual conversation they could have had.

He missed Camden all of the time, of course, but sometimes not having him was harder than others.

Like right then, he wanted to call his brother and tell him how happy he was with life at the moment, how it felt like everything was looking up for him.

But he couldn't.

Asher couldn't imagine having to go through the rest of her life without Parker, even if both him and Stiles made her want to rip her hair out at times. Annoying some of the time was better than him being gone. She never forgot to remind herself how lucky she was to still have her father and brothers.

____

Asher rolled her eyes as she watched her brother whisper to Scott whilst their English teacher dozed off at his desk.

She didn't have to guess what they were talking about, she knew that Scott had gone to confront Derek and discovered that Derek was not the alpha. She knew better than to assume Parker had told them about his conversation with Derek, just judging by Stiles's reaction to Scott talking to him.

She knew that the bus driver had succumbed to his injuries late the night before, tragically but unsurprisingly. And she knew it wasn't Derek's fault, but her twin was hard against him. She didn't want to believe it, but she couldn't deny the pull she felt tugging her towards Derek Hale.

As the dismissal bell rang and students began filing out of the room, Asher lost sight of Stiles and Scott. She decided not to worry about it and started walking with Lydia, Eli, and Allison who were waiting for her outside. Rory was down the hall, presumably avoiding them.

Asher wondered why it was so back and forth—why one day she seemed to want nothing to do with her and some days she was the first one trying to help her. It was exhausting.

"So, Scott's coming over later?" Lydia quizzed, looking at Allison with a smirk.

Eli then turned her attention to Asher, "Aren't you hanging out with Isaac tonight?"

"Yeah, we were gonna watch a movie." Asher told her.

"We're studying." Allison replied.

Asher and Allison looked at each other, both unsure of how this conversations was going to go.

"Just studying? And a movie?" Lydia asked, her brow arched playfully.

"Yeah," Allison shrugged, "Am I missing something here?"