eight

_

Lydia wasn't at school the next morning.

She'd woken up to a missed call from a number she did not recognize, but she had chosen to ignore it. What she wasn't choosing to ignore, however, was the dream she'd been having every time she closed her eyes the previous night.

She knew that Stiles had gone to poke his nose into it that morning, but to his dismay he hadn't gotten the information he was hoping for.

Asher did not need to go see her to know what had happened. In fact, she feared that doing so would make things worse. She was now convinced that Harley was right, that the alpha had some sort of connection to someone that knew them. Why else would he have attacked Lydia and Jackson? All they were doing was arguing in the video store parking lot. If Derek was correct and the alpha wanted the twins on his side, why wouldn't he go after their high school friends? Why wouldn't he scare them into doing what he wanted?

She tried to ignore the burning in her throat as she made her way through the crowded halls where the whispers of Lydia and Jackson's eventful night seemed to echo around her. She wished she could have prevented it.

She could not shake the guilt weighing down on her chest as she thought about how much worse it could have been.

She said nothing as she took her seat in class, ignoring the concerned stares coming from Eli and Isaac.

_

Asher tried to focus on her surroundings as she looked up at the tall boy leaning against her locker smiling back at her. She didn't think she had ever adored anyone the way that she adored Isaac Lahey. Everything about her new relationship with him felt different, like there was this urgency behind it—like she needed to be with him the way that she needed air to breathe.

The same way she needed his ex girlfriend to move very far away from them as her wandering glare always seemed to find them in the hallway.

"We have an audience," Isaac sighed, allowing his gaze to briefly travel past Asher down the hall.

"Of course we do," she sighed, "I don't know what her problem is but—"

"She's still holding a grudge I guess." He shrugged.

"It actually astounds me that you let him be this affectionate, Asher. Normally you go for no strings," an unnaturally happy voice cooed from behind her.

She wanted to be the bigger person so badly, but she was only five feet and four inches tall—it was physically impossible for her to be the bigger person.

And if a low blow was what Haven wanted, that's what she would get.

"And you usually go for other girl's boyfriends and lie about it."

Asher knew that engaging was a bad idea, especially if Haven was working with the alpha. But something about this girl just got under her skin worse than she ever had before.

"I knew before too long that you'd end up together," Haven sneered, "I was never good enough."

"Haven," Isaac sighed, "Do you even hear yourself?"

Haven rolled her eyes and pointed her finger at him, "Don't act like it wasn't always her."

Normally Isaac would have left it alone, but his new sense of confidence was unfailing in its ability to wow Asher as he took a step closer to Haven and lowered his head to meet her gaze;

"Maybe it was, and maybe you're just upset you could never do what she does."

Haven felled back, obviously hurt and surprised by his words and cold tone of his voice.