five

The format of this one is off I know, but this app won't let me fix it without centering the entire chapter for some odd reason. I'm on the way back from vacation as I'm writing this little note, so I unfortunately HAVE to use the app. Hopefully I'll remember to correct the formatting on my computer later on this week!

_

Asher couldn't believe she let Stiles drag her out in the middle of the night again to find the other half of the body, only this time they had the heightened werewolf senses of Scott and Harley.

Coraline's words were still echoing in the back of her mind like a scream. How could she keep Isaac and Eli safe? How could she help Derek kill the alpha? Coraline also never mentioned keeping Isaac away from all of it—she had silently encouraged it, if anything. How did he fit into it? And why all of a sudden does Haven have it out for her worse than normal? And the new girl?

She wanted to be at home, away from looking for corpses in the woods. Usually, she matched her twin's appetite for chaos and any other night she would have, probably. Her head was clouded with questions and wonder, a burning desire to know more. But here she was, digging for something that would only lead to more questions.

The most powerful witches in Beacon Hills.

It was all she could think about, and anytime her thoughts drifted it just came right back.

Parker had started picking up extra shifts at the clinic, presumably to save up money for college. She felt a bit guilty for leaving him out of the loop, but how could she tell him? It wasn't about trust, it was about his safety. It was a lot to take in, it was scary for a handful of teenagers who barely got past their first year of high school and with Parker a year away from starting his adult life, she could only imagine how much it would make him worry. He was always the one making sure they didn't get into too much trouble, he felt responsible for them in a way. As the sheriff, their father was always busy with work so someone had to be there when Noah Stilinski couldn't. After all, it was only the four of them. She couldn't let Parker worry himself to death. He deserved normal, something his siblings now knew they would never get. Their chances at normal lives were gone now, all of them. And they knew it, even if no one wanted to say so out loud.

She looked over her shoulder again, not even sure what she was looking for. She was just looking.

"So you're sure it was here? It's been over a week now, dude. I can't smell—never mind." Harley nearly gagged as they dug deeper, indicating that they were getting closer to something.

Scott, to say the least, was freaking out. He didn't have a clue what he was supposed to do, and neither did any of his friends. And he refused to have anything to do with Derek, as he was beyond convinced Derek bit him. Coraline had tried to convince Stiles of the truth, but he wasn't having it and neither was Scott.

Asher knew that Rory knew more than what she told her and Harley in the hallway, and she was positive there was a deeper connection to Derek Hale there somewhere, somehow. It had to be more than Laura Hale taking her in after the deaths of her parents. It had to be. There had to be a reason why she had seen Derek by her side in that vision—what could have been coming that would put her alongside Derek Hale in such a way?

Asher didn't want any part of digging, so she leaned against the hood of the jeep and kept watch, though she was tired of hearing Stiles and Harley complain about digging.