52

Chapter 52

  It was almost noon when the young couple arrived home. After entering the house, Lin Zhen asked Ji Congzhe to go upstairs and lie down to rest, and then called him after he had finished cooking.

  "Let's take a rest after dinner later. Besides, it's still a little hot upstairs."

  Lin Zhen asked, "Then I'll take the mat down and you can lie down on the first floor for a while?"

  "No, I don't feel uncomfortable right now. Just cook your food."

  Lin Zhen saw that Ji Congzhe's complexion was obviously much better than in the morning, and his tense spirit relaxed.

  He put the quail eggs and beef he bought in bowls and put them on the table. "Then I'll cook the rice, and you eat first."

  There was rice and oil at home. They had gone to live in the watermelon field before, but they only brought some of it with them.

  Lin Zhen went to the well to buy rice, and then lit a fire in the stove. While the firewood was burning, he asked Ji Congzhe to help keep an eye on it. He had to go to the back mountain to pick some vegetables.

Ji Congzhe peeled a few quail eggs and ate them, occasionally taking a look inside the stove. After a while, Lin Zhen came back with a basket. He picked some eggplants and two loofahs from Uncle Yang's house.

  At noon, I cooked a plate of loofah soup and a dish of fried eggplant. I couldn't help but eat the beef. The two of them finished it at noon, but they could still eat two meals of quail eggs.

  After lunch, Ji Congzhe had to take a nap, but the weather in early September was still a bit muggy upstairs, so Lin Zhen carried the mat to the first floor and got pillows and sheets.

  After Ji Congzhe lay down, Lin Zhen told him, "You take a nap first. I'm going to the watermelon field to move things back. I have to clean the house in the afternoon, otherwise there will be a smell."

  Ji Congzhe lay on the mat and sniffed, "There is a strong musty smell. Then why are you moving so many things by yourself?"

  "Pick out the important ones today, and pick up the rest bit by bit later. Anyway, we still have to farm over there."

  "Okay, then don't be too tired." Ji Congzhe warned.

  Lin Zhen said "Yeah." Then he picked up two empty baskets with a pole.

  I picked out the quilts and mats last night. There is nothing important in the watermelon field at the moment. There are just pots, pans and coal stoves. Hoes and other things are needed anyway, so I will leave them here for now.

  The mosquito net still has to be taken down, and now that it's early autumn, mosquito bites are even more painful.

  Lin Zhen dismantled the mosquito net and put it into the basket. He also dismantled the wooden bed in the shed, put the wooden board aside, and then piled the stones underneath into the corner.

  Originally, the rapeseed flowers were cut, but the straw was still piled in the ground. These fields still need to be sown in the next two days. Lin Zhen moved the straw from the field into the shed so that if any crops needed to withstand the cold, they could be burned.

  It seems that this shed is quite useful. It can escape the heat in summer and store things in winter.

  There was no time to dig up the ground today, so he remembered Ji Congzhe's body, packed up his things, and carried the load back.