Something stops me

There was a huge Boulder in the middle of the road, proactively in my way, directly contradicting what I said three minutes ago.
Going around it wasn't an option since to our left and our right was land that went straight up, leaving us stranded in a large long ditch that just so happened to be part of the path out of Eagle Tree county. Rosslyn hopped off my shoulder and looked for a way around it, but after a good two minutes, she gave up.

"Well, unless you have the strength to move a 300 Ton boulder, there's not really a way around it." The boulder was easily 50 feet high, and if we weren't on a road, I'd assume it was just part of the terrain. But I made sure to pack everything I might need, and everything I might not need. I reached into my backpack and pulled out some rope. I tied the rope securely to my axe and took a couple of steps back while swinging the axe around to gain some momentum. Finally, just as it was going fast enough, I threw the axe up, letting it soar like an arrow. It slammed into the boulder, leaving a crack where it made an impact.

Rosslyn seemed less than impressed. "Wow. What a plan Harlen, all you did was leave a stupid crack in the rock." I was getting ready to throw it again when the boulder started to shake. The ground rumbled, rocks the size of bears fell from the boulder that seemed to be growing. Under the rock were two dusty green legs that looked like they belonged to a giant turtle. The giant boulder fully raised, and turned around slowly to look at us. Rosslyn and me both had to look fully up to see the top of the boulder creature. Then as it fully turned it started to slowly fall our way.

"RUN!" By the time I looked down Rosslyn was already long gone, so I followed her lead and ran as fast as I could. The ground beneath me started getting darker and darker as it's shadow towered over me. I could feel it getting closer as I ran faster, and considering the sound of the sides of the ditch crumbling, I didn't have long until I was a Harlen panini. I slung off my backpack and threw it to Rosslyn before diving, but it was too late. The boulder was right over me. I closed my eyes as I hit the ground and got ready to get squished, but it landed, blowing dust in my face and I was still alive.

I crawled out from under the boulder and looked up at it. It had four legs and a hole right where it's neck would be, harboring piercing yellow eyes. It's voice boomed throughout the valley. "Who. Dares. To. Disturb. My. Slumber?"

It's eyes looked down at me, and went narrow. Then it slowly peaked it's head out. It was... A snake. It's head came out, then it's incredibly long neck, stretching farther and farther out, until it looked down at us then smiled. "Hi! My name's Bilo!"

It wasn't a snake, it was a turtle, and it had a huge smile and a big dumb voice, like a happy kid meeting friends. Rosslyn hopped on my stomach and looked up to him, reaching her paw out. "Nice to meet you Bilo, I'm Rosslyn, and this is Harlen, say hi Harlen."

Before I could mutter anything Bilo said it for me. "Hi, Harlen!" This turtle was massive with a long neck, and had a boulder for a shell. I heard stories about them from my grandpa. The story told of a small turtle who wished to be bigger. So he struck a deal with a horned being who promised to give him what he wished for, but he would be cursed with everlasting growth forever.

He thought it would be great at first, but eventually he became too big for his normal life. Too big to play with friends, too big to sleep in his bed, even too big walk through the woods. He hated the fact that he would keep growing forever, eventually becoming too big to live on his planet. So he hid in a giant rock to try and stunt the growth, and it worked. When he woke up, his legs and his head broke through the rock, but his shell couldn't because the rock was too strong.

I thought it was just a kids story, but then again I thought the same thing about Captain Zyloff. The giant turtle looked down at Rosslyn's outstretched paw and slowly lifted his massive arm towards her small hand, gently letting her grab it to shake.