47

Beyoncé's POV
Knowles Household
September 13

I was observing my mama and Richard. They were so gross together. They just hugged and smiled at each other, all day.

I hadn't been here to witness them from the wake because I was with my sister, dying my hair. It was like every time I was with Destiny, we ended up at the salon. I wasn't complaining though.

Not only did I get to spend time with her but I was finding the hair colour I liked with all this experimenting. I'd never ever dyed my hair any brighter than it originally was, not until this past year.

I know it was cliché, but you only live once, so I was going rogue with the colouring.

"May we help you, Beyoncé?" My mama finally acknowledged me.

"Nope. You guys can carry on." I folded my arms, slouching into the couch. "Don't mind me."

"We wouldn't mind you if you weren't staring at us the whole time." She said to me.

"Does Richard feel the same way?" I asked her husband.

"I will not be stepping between you two." He respectfully said, shaking his head. "And it seems like you want to talk to your mama about something, so I will go and read my Bible."

"Mhm." Mama hummed as he kissed her cheek before heading to his little study room.

Once he was out of earshot, I sat up, leaning my elbows against my knees.

"I don't remember where I put pops' journals." I sighed out. "I've been thinking and searching but I have no clue where I left them."

"They're up in the attic." She said. "Onika dropped them off here like 5 years ago. With a lot of your other stuff."

"That's great." I nodded. "I will get them when I leave."

"Why have you been searching so hard for them?"

"Ma, being a parent and a wife is challenging. Those journals are the only guidance I have."

My mama chuckled at that. "You know, your father never let me read them."

"I mean, they're all addressed to his HoneyBey." I shrugged out. "That hasn't stopped my nosey wife from reading them, though."

"Does she know you know?"

"Definitely not." I smiled. "I've let her think that she's gotten away with it, but one day I'll talk to her about her snooping."

Her reading the journals was harmless, but no one other than me was meant to read them.

"Did you and pops ever do marriage counselling?"

"We did. Our relationship was rocky after having Solange." She confessed. "Why do you ask?"

"Onika said you recommended our counsellor, from your own experience."

"Dr Parks is amazing." She made sure to say. "She did wonders for our marriage."

"How bad was it?"

"I'll say it like this, baby." Her tone changed to something really maternal. "My relationship with your father was very similar to yours with your wife. I wanted him out of the game for so long, before my kids got involved."

"Obviously, that didn't work out." I added.

"It did not, but like I said, it was around the time Solange was born that it started getting to me." She continued. "We spent years in therapy together."

"How didn't I know about this?" I genuinely questioned. I was a very observant kid.

"I'm glad you didn't know, Giselle. You were a child that needed to stay in a child's place."