Prologue

Quick thanks to Wubby for making the cover! You never fail to help me out with that kind of stuff.
Also, I know that this chapter isn't very good and that it's short, but I wanted to just get it started.
Anyway, here goes nothing!

* * *

Prologue

Hanna was scared. Really scared. She didn't know where she was, and she felt foggy, disoriented. And the dark was not helping matters. She hadn't been afraid of the dark for years, but now that familiar fear was back with a vengeance. She had a sudden memory of running into her parents' room when the jackets on the back of her door started to look like monsters whenever they were lit up by the headlights of passing cars.

She almost laughed. Scared? she thought. That was nothing. She hadn't felt real fear before this night. Night? Day? She wasn't sure.
The last thing she remembered was sneaking out. But for what? She couldn't remember. Hell, she could barely remember her own name. Why was it hard for her to remember anything?

She heard a door open, and she sat up as quickly as she could in her sluggish state. She looked up and saw a black figure in front of the door. She could see that the stars were out, but it was growing light out. The thunk of boots resonated through the room. They stopped right in front of her, and she--stupidly, she realized--held her breath.

The figure went behind her, and she felt a small bit of relief fill her, but it was short lived. A gag was forcefully tied around her head right over her mouth. Her shock wore off, and her instincts kicked in. The door, she thought.

As fast as she could, she crawled, but she didn't get very far before she was yanked back by her hair. She screamed, and a hand whipped across her face, forcing her head to the side. She struggled as she was roughly pulled upright. She felt the person's breath on her neck, and she shuddered.

She continued to fight with all of her might. She kept fighting as she was dragged to the basement where horrible things were done to her. She kept fighting even though her captor held a knife to her neck. She kept fighting through the pain. And even after she was finally left alone, she continued to fight for life, but it was all for naught.