Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It was almost 5:00 by the time we got to Evergreen. We had to stop at a supermarket to get groceries. Apparently the cabins are literally like your own house while you stay there.

Yay.

The cabin itself was pretty decent. It wasn't an A-frame, but it did kind of look like one. There was a reddish porch on one of the long sides. The door was on the porch, and there was also a sliding glass door between where the legs of the A would be in the back part of the cabin.

The inside was surprisingly big. There was a bedroom in the very front--with an AC unit and a closet--a fairly big bathroom--though the shower was really small--a kitchen--complete with a fridge, microwave, and tiny stove-top oven all broken up by small counter tops--and a living room--the ceiling went all the way to the roof; there was a couch, a dining room table, a coffee table, and a recliner. There was also a metal, spiral staircase that led up to the second floor--it made the ceiling over everywhere but the living room, and it had two beds and an AC unit.

I was begrudgingly impressed.

When we got inside, I claimed a bed upstairs. After some debating, it was decided that Mom and Dad would be in the front bedroom while Connie slept on the couch, and Eren and Mikasa would sleep together in one of the beds upstairs. I wasn't too thrilled with having to sleep near Eren for the next however many days, but I decided not to say anything.

The only downside to sleeping upstairs was getting my suitcase up there. That staircase was really small width-wise, and my suitcase was not.

"Come on, you son of a bitch!" I hissed at my suitcase.

"Wow, Jean. That actually had some sort of rhythm to it."

I narrowed my eyes at Eren. He was on the first floor still, waiting for me to get up before he even attempted to tackle the stairs. "Shut up, angry dwarf." I heaved it again.

"Angry dwarf? Is that really the best you can do?"

I ignored him and heaved my bad one last time. Miraculously, I was at the top. "Oh, thank God," I whispered. I pulled it to the bed closest to the front by the AC. I set it down, put the AC on "cool", and turned it from 81 down to 70. Immediately cold air started blowing through the vent. I put my face up to it and sighed.

"Ah, I'll bet it feels like you're running, racehorse."

I turned around and glared at Eren as he pulled his suitcase up the last stair. "Okay, you can stop with the horse jokes now. It was funny when you were four, but now it makes you seem really immature."

Mikasa showed up at the top of the stairs before he replied. "We're going to the lodge. Quit acting like such drama queens and hurry up." And she was gone.

Eren spared one last glare at me before he ran downstairs after his twin. I waited a minute or two before following him outside, so I wouldn't have to see his stupid face.

Mom was waiting on the porch. She pushed her glasses farther up her nose. "Come on, slow poke."

I looked around. "Where are the others?"

"They went to the lodge ahead of us."

I raised an eyebrow. "Why did you stay behind?"

"Is it so wrong for a mother to want to walk to the lodge for the first time with her oldest baby?" She reached her hands up and pinched my cheeks while making baby noises. I made a face and slapped them away, embarrassed. She just laughed and smacked me on the back. "Be nice to your mother."