Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Dinner sucked. Well, the food didn't--how could food suck? It's food, man. All the questions did, though. It was like, damn, give us a break! We just started dating. It wasn't like I had taken him on the dock. I mean, I have taken him on the dock, but I haven't taken him on the dock. Oh my God, just nevermind.

They didn't stop talking to him until his eye gave out. Being the nice person he is, he didn't mention it, but I noticed and told them to knock it off. They did, thank God. That didn't stop Dad from shooting me weird glances all through the meal. I ignored them and ate. My ankle somehow ended up around Marco's. Neither of us bothered to move them.

"That was really good. Thank you," he said. Eren and Mikasa had taken Connie outside. Mom, Dad, and I were clearing off the table while Marco was sitting rigidly on the couch.

Mom laughed. "No, thank you for agreeing. I wasn't sure if you would. It really was an excuse to ask you a bunch of things about your relationship since Jean isn't much of a talker."

Marco glanced at me, and I blushed.

"He told me that you had a really hard time saying no."

"Mom."

"So that's why we had to ask you all the hard questions."

"Mom."

Marco looked at me again, and I flushed even more. Sorry, I mouthed. He just gave me a weary smile that showed he wasn't mad at me. I don't know why I was so relieved.

Mom laughed. "Sorry!"

"No, you aren't," I mumbled under my breath, earning me a raised eyebrow from Dad.

She laughed again. "You're right--I'm not!"

I grumbled some more. She kept laughing at me. Dad ignored us and washed dishes while Mom dried. I could feel Marco watching us from the couch curiously.

"Moooommmm," Connie whined as he ran in the door. "I wanna swiiimmmmm..."

"Okay, okay. Come on." He rushed back out the door. "I'll be back soon," she then said to Dad. He nodded. They stepped towards each other and pecked their lips together. I wondered if Marco and I could ever do that. So casually show affection in front of others without worrying what they thought.

I sighed wistfully. Maybe someday.

"Jean? What's wrong?" I turned around to look at Marco. It seemed like he was always adorable no matter what face he was making.

I shook myself a little. "Nothing." I smiled. "I'm fine. You wanna go swim too?"

He smiled back. "Yeah, but I don't have my trunks. I'll go get them."

I shrugged. "Unless you wanna borrow my spare? They're a bit too big for me." I could feel Mom and Dad watching us, her from the doorway and him from the sink.

Marco seemed not to notice tension. "That'd be great. Thank you."

"Come on." We both went up the stairs. I could hear Mom and Dad talking in hushed tones as we ascended. I pulled the trunks out when we got upstairs. I laid them on the bed. "I'll let you change. I'll be downstairs. Come down when you're done." I was about to do just that, but then hesitated.

He tilted his head, ever so perceptive. "What's wrong? Really?"

I sighed. "Nothing. I just... Nevermind." I shook my head.

He stepped closer to me and took my hand. I looked into his pleading eyes. "Tell me, please?"

I sighed and slumped. "Just wish I could show my affection for you to everybody without them being... grossed out."