Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Marco smiled. "Of course."

I looked at him. "No, Marco. Jesus, you're supposed to say no."

He seemed confused. "What? Why?"

I groaned and let my head fall back. We were on the way to the lodge. He said he wanted to do something, but he wouldn't tell me what it was. Let me just say that he wasn't ticklish. At all. It was awkward for both of us.

"Because they're embarrassing."

He laughed at me. "They aren't that bad. I've already met them before."

"Right, so you don't have to do it again." Our arms brushed together as we walked. It wasn't like sparks flew or some shit like that, but it was nice.

"What are you so worried about? Nothing's gonna happen."

I leaned over and kissed the side of his neck. He jumped up and whirled around in surprise. I couldn't help but laugh at the look on his face. I moved ahead to hold the door open for him with a flourish. He smiled and bowed at me before going in. Inside, he went to the side of the desk and pulled down two putters and two golf balls.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I suck at mini golf, just so you know."

"I suck too." His face was serious. "We can suck together." I started grinning. He looked confused for the second time this morning. He still had a baby face the second time around too. "What? Was it something I said?"

"Yeah. You said that we could suck together."

It took him a moment, but his face went blank and dubious to full on, hardcore blushing in .3 seconds. "Jean! I didn't... That's not... Th-that wasn't what I meant!"

"Uh huh. Oh, sure. I know what you meant. Good old 69." I winked seductively at him for effect. Somehow he managed to blush even more furiously.

"Now I am gonna go to your cabin tonight for making fun of me." He started to mock pout. It made him look like he had a baby face. Again.

I tapped his nose. "Fine." I grabbed his hand and started tugging him outside. "Come on. Loser buys the winner an ice cream cone." I winked at him again, but this time it was in a teasing way.

He smiled at me, but something was off about it. "Deal."

"You okay?"

He tilted his head. "Fine. Why?"

I squished his cheeks with my fingers. He had a major baby face again. God, what with him and managing to look so adorable? His lips were pursed. He reached up and wrapped his hands around my palms, but didn't pull my hands down. "Your eye is acting up again," I said. It wasn't a question.

He shrugged, trying to be nonchalant, but he still looked like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. "I'm fine. You don't have to worry." His words came out awkwardly from the way his face was squished.

I bit my lip, but let it--and my hands--drop. When we got to the street, I pushed him ahead of me. He turned around to look at me with a question in his eyes. "We are not having a repeat of earlier this week," I told him.

He looked down and laughed sheepishly. "Yeah, sorry about that..."

I stood on his right side and grabbed his hand once we were across the street, so he could see his surroundings on his other side. "You can tell me if you're having any issues, you know. I may not be able to help very much, but I'll listen and do what I can."

He squeezed my hand. "I know, I just don't like to make you worry, that's all."

I squeezed back. "I'm not gonna tell you some lie like, 'I'll worry more if you don't tell me,' because we both know that I'm not gonna know if you don't tell me. But I would definitely prefer it if you told me, so I could help you."