Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Jean! Do you want breakfast or not?" Dad yelled from right below me in the kitchen.

I groaned and rolled over. I was having literally one of the best dreams ever even though I couldn't remember what it was now. God dammit, Dad. Thanks a lot.

"Well? Even if you don't, it's already ten. You need to get up."

"What are we having?" I finally yelled back.

"Eggs and bacon."

I sat up. Bacon? I swung my legs around and stood up, stretching afterwards for a good 30 seconds. As I was descending the stairs, my foot missed most of one, and I lost my balance. Fortunately, I was holding on to the metal post that the stairs wrapped around. "Holy shit," I murmured to myself.

"Didn't know that shit was holy," Dad commented.

I was sure that my look portrayed that I was not amused.

"Lighten up a little."

I just looked at him. "Lighten up? You are telling me to lighten up?"

A ghost of a smile passed over his face. "Everybody is outside."

"Um, okay."

As promised, everybody was outside. What he had failed to mention was that we also had guests over. There were four people. The first was a kid that looked like he had... a yellow coconut as hair. I shit you not. I almost felt bad for him, but the more I looked at him, it started looking more normal. He was running around with Eren and Mikasa. They looked like they were having a great time.

The next person was a really tall guy with dark hair leaning against the side of the cabin. He smiled when he saw me. I waved back awkwardly.

After that, I noticed a kind looking woman with light hair. Her and Mom were sitting at the green picnic table on the porch. Mom was, of course, talking animatedly while the lady watched with an amused smile on her face.

Finally, I noticed Marco sitting on the porch step with his back to me, talking to Connie. When Connie saw me, he ran past Marco and straight to me. Well, not me, but rather my legs.

Marco turned around and flashed me one of his smiles. "Morning, Jean."

I was suddenly very glad that I'd put a shirt on before I came down the stairs.

"Hey, Horseface!" Eren yelled from the grass. "It was about time that you got up and started mooooving like your barnyard friends."

I made sure Mom wasn't looking before I flipped him off. Blond Coconut looked really confused. The tall guy seemed perplexed as well. Eren loudly started explaining to Blond Coconut why he was comparing me to a horse. My face burned.

"Are you alright, Jean?" Marco asked, concern in his voice and on his face.

"Yeah, fine." I ignored the freeloader on my leg and sat down on the step beside Marco. The breeze blew, and I could smell the lake. I noticed that his hand was mere inches from mine. If I wanted to, I could--

"Did you sleep well?"

I shook myself and asked myself for the upteenth time what was wrong with me. "Mm hm. You?"

"Well, I did after I got home," he said, referring to our conversation last night.

I smiled at him while winking, and I thought I saw the tops of his ears turn pink.

The door behind me opened, and I craned around to see Dad carrying out platefuls of food balanced on his arms. Mom and her friend jumped up to help him set them on the table.