"So....your first crush......" said Shezwa, twirling her bracelet in her finger, "Is here?"

It was lunch time at school. Most of my close friends, including myself, were sitting in one table. The book I'd kept open for studying lay forgotten as I narrated the recent events.

"Yeah."

Shezwa's brown eyes popped; her eyebrows almost reaching her mahogany hair, "You're joking?"

"No, she's serious," Tina said with a nod, "I saw him."

"Really? How does he look?"

"Shezwa!" Zoya and I exclaimed. Zoya grabbed Shezwa's ear, her nose scrunched, her hazel eyes behind rimless glasses angry. 

"Why are you always concerned about how a guy looks? You idiot!" Zoya said.

"What?" Shezwa said, slightly whimpering in pain, "It matters! Especially since this guy is like Elizha's crush. So, tell us, Elizha, how does he look?"

"He looks okay," Tina said with a shrug, "Handsome, yes, but like....not revolutionary."

"No, I think he was quite handsome," I chided. "Really handsome."

"Oooooooh!" Shezwa exclaimed. She rubbed her hands excitedly. "Elizha is in loove! See, I told you this love story would come to life, one day?"

"I have to agree with Shezwa on this one," said Tina with a cheeky grin, "Elizha and Soroush could very well be Eroush! Do you know.....Soroush called this one Elizhapedia?"

There it was! The dreaded shipname. I kicked Tina under the table. She looked up at me with a small grin.

Shezwa's mouth widened, "Her old nickname? Oh my goodness!"

I punched the table in exasperation. "Shut up, will you? And let me have lunch in peace. I have to study after this."

I took a banana and began to peel it. They all watched as I took a single bite.

"What?" I asked. 

"I really don't think this ship will work," said Zoya. She took her white scarf and placed it around her curly hair, seeing the passing male teachers. "Too much history."

"I think it will," said Shezwa, with firm determination in her mouth. She placed her hand inside Zoya's crisps. Zoya snatched the bag away from her hand.

"Have a fruit instead, Shezwa. Healthy stuff," she said, before turning to me, "You aren't planning to marry him, are you? Do you have a crush?"

"No and no," I said, half truth and half lie, "I can't betray my mom like this. After what his father did...." I shook my head. 

"What are you guys talking about?" said Dua, suddenly interrupting the conversation. She sat in between me and Tina, with her tray of fruits. She was covered head to toe in a black abaya and scarf, half of her face covered with a black mask, leaving just her blue eyes on display. 

"Nothing," Shezwa shook her head. Zoya shook her head too.

Dua looked at me. I shook my head too.

She sighed, "I heard everything."

"Uh huh. And you're gonna say, 'Lower your gaze. Don't look at him too much. He's another man. A ghair mahram.'"

"Well, we have to follow rules, but I'm not going to say just that," she said.

"Then what do you want to say?" I asked.

"Soroush Hakeem, however big or small, will have an effect on your life," Dua said. "Maybe as a friend, maybe as an enemy, maybe as a life partner like Shezwa is suggesting. But Allah brought him to your life for a reason. So, I suggest, you pray to Allah that the reason is good."