28

The words from my mouth surprised Soroush very much. He opened his mouth, shut it again, then opened it.

Jida rolled her eyes, "Stop being dramatic, you little brat! She said what she said!"

Frankly speaking, I was shocked at the words that came out of my mouth. 

Soroush shook his head, "Are you sure, Elizha? Or, do you want to take them back and forget you ever said them?"

Now, that he gave me that option, I did.....not?

"No," I shook my head, "I mean what I said. I want you to tutor me in chemistry. And help me with other problem areas."

I did. I wanted to mean it. And was successful at meaning it.

Soroush's face split into a grin, "Excellent! When do we start?"

"Um....how much do I have to pay you?" I asked.

"Oh, no, no," he shook his head, "No need for that."

"No, I insist," I said, "I want to pay you. It won't be much, but I will find a way."

"Well, if you insist, then how about cupcakes every week on Saturday?" he asked. "I enjoyed your baking very much."

"Oh, that!" I laughed, "That was just....cake mix. I am not the best at cooking. I've never really baked from scratch."

"I will accept that," he replied, with a smile.

"Well...."

"I will accept that," he put more emphasis in his words. 

"Okay," I nodded, mentally thinking of stocking extra cake mix with the pocket money I got. "But, I have one condition."

"Done," Soroush said without blinking.

"But, you didn't even hear what I was going to say!" I exclaimed.

"It will be done, no matter what you say," Soroush said, "But say it, nonetheless."

"No one should know about this," I looked at Jida, "Just, the three of us. Not even my mother can know that you are my tutor. It's our little secret. Which is why, we study early in the morning after Fajr prayers. And we can start from....tomorrow."

"Done," Soroush said. He crossed his arms, "This is your secret to share. Mostly, I am proud that you are finally asking for help. Sometimes, it's okay to do that, you know. It doesn't make you less intelligent or less independent. I needed help for Chemistry too, in twelfth grade."

"You did?" I asked, eyes wide.

"Yeah. Chemistry is critical. Sciences are critical, but Chemistry is a whole other level. Though, that depends on perspective. Some prefer Chemistry over Physics and Math. I prefer Math and Physics over Chemistry any day. Yet ironically, because I had help and I studied Chemistry hard, I got better grades in this subject than Physics or Math by two marks." He gave a small laugh, "You are kind of in the same boat I am, now."

I stared at Soroush, wide eyed, unbelieving his words because Soroush was always the model student. He was the pride of Khalid Hakeem in every conversation, always going on about how his son topped every single exam and always got above ninety. To hear Soroush say that he struggled too.....

Meant that I wasn't entirely out of the race. I could do it too!

-----

"Your highness, madam sleeping beauty!" called Soroush's voice, "It's time to wake up."

I opened my eyes slightly, then closed them and turned to the side, "No. A little bit more."

"Wake up. You have school."