13

The smell of chicken and coleslaw salad wafted in my mouth the moment I entered her restaurant.

FAE's blessings restaurant. Mom took the first initial of all three of us. Faiza,  Ahmed and Elizha.

Her restaurant was done in a quite classy way, so you would feel like this big hotshot deal but you were actually just an ordinary,  regular person. There was music too. Live music done by up and coming artists who just wanted to let people know their name.

I had to sit down first before I could do anything. My leg hadn't completely healed. I stared at my hand to find that the bandage was almost coming out.

So,  I fixed that and after waiting for a bit,  got up and went to the cashier corner (for all the takeout lovers) to ask,  "Where is mom? Is she inside her office?"

The girl in charge,  Kiara,  nodded. I opened the door and entered inside,  walking up to my mom's office and knocked on her door.

"Come in," she said.

I entered to see my mom huddled over a huge stack of papers. She looked up at me and mouthed,  "Elizha."

"A boy is harassing me," I said.

She quickly got up,  "Where?"

"The tutoring center" I replied. "And he turns out to be very important but I didn't care. So,  I slapped him and ran out. I ain't tolerating him."

"Oh. Oh Allah,"  she said, slumping in her seat.

"So,  you believe me? You don't distrust me?"

"Why wouldn't I believe you?" she asked.

Because you broke your promise the other day.

"Whatever the case, mom. I am not going to that tutoring center. Ever again."

"Oh, my child," she sighed in exasperation,  "But,  you have to."

"But, why?" I sat opposite to her.

"Because that's what your aunt wants. And your aunt wants the best for you."

"But,  mom...."

"Look, Elizha,  you weren't that young when we came to this country. You know the reason why we came here. We were practically penniless. And my family wasn't financially well off. My family was never financially well off. It was a miracle I even got to live the life I lived in that country. Whatever the case,  your aunt and her husband helped us. She is the reason why we can walk with our head high in society. She is the reason why you can study in IDA."

"Mom, she gave you the money. You used your brains to rise up."

"She still helps," she said,  "You think running a restaurant is that easy?"

"I know it's not easy,  but...."

"Elizha,  I am a widow," she said,  "A widow that isn't well off. That does not have a rich family. The closest thing I have to a rich family is my sister in Australia,  but we don't have a good relation now. At this point, my death is the only thing that can bridge the gap and I'm not dying anytime soon."

"Mom..."

"I depend on my husband's family,  Elizha. And my husband's family have never accepted me because of my background. We had a love marriage. Your aunts tolerate me because of you,  Elizha. For the sake of your father. And I have to repay them somehow."

"By what? Becoming a slave,  you...." I looked at my mom,  at her trembling lips.

"You didn't believe for a second that I was involved with a boy,  did you?" I asked.