Chapter Seventeen: Avalyn

My head jerks toward him, a jolt of anticipation running through me, stirring up a swirl of emotions I can't quite grasp. Could it be hope? I'm not entirely sure, but it's a sensation that pulls me in, tugging at something deep within. "Are you Aren Wellington?" I inquire, my voice trembling with a blend of curiosity and excitement, drawing nearer to him as if pulled by an unseen magnet.

His eyes widen, a flicker of surprise dancing across his features, accentuated by the vivid contrast of his reddening cheeks against his sickly white complexion, illuminated by the dim light. "...Yes," he manages to chirp out, his hands fidgeting nervously with each other as I approach, the tension palpable between us.

I place my hands upon the bars, sitting on my knees as I come face to face with him. Expecting him to recoil slightly, I'm taken aback when he remains seated, even pushing his face closer to the bars as if trying to bridge the gap between us. He even shifts his body to align with mine, facing forward as his hands grip the same bars just slightly above mine. Our fingertips graze against each other, a moment of contact that sends a shiver down my spine, unsettled by his apparent need to get as close as possible. He seems oblivious to the concept of personal space, so I lean back a bit before speaking, trying to regain my composure.

"I know your sister," I whisper, watching as his eyes nearly light up with recognition.

"Idalia?" he asks eagerly.

I nod, unable to contain the smile that forces its way onto my lips. "She's a friend of mine."

The truth is, I'm not entirely convinced of that anymore, especially considering she's the one who left me. We established clear boundaries right from the beginning, ones that precluded any expectation of loyalty. While I grapple with the situation, I can't shake off the weight of responsibility resting heavily on my shoulders. After all, it was I who outlined those rules, and my current disappointment is directed more inwardly than toward her.

Yet, despite this, I realize I placed far too much trust in Idalia, a testament to the peculiar bond we share. Living alongside her for nearly two years has fostered empathy and even a liking for the woman.

Reflecting on it now, I understand the folly of expecting Idalia to jeopardize her own safety for my sake. There was a crucial moment when escape was possible, but I found myself immobilized by indecision. I resorted to taking a life, and now I'm confined here, facing the consequences of my actions. In hindsight, I realize I should have seized the opportunity to flee alongside her when it arose, or possibly just had more self-control and not ripped out that man's throat. Though, he deserved it wholeheartedly.

Despite my earlier resolve to abandon Idalia to her fate if Sophie sought revenge, I now realize that my feelings for her run deeper than I care to admit. It's a tumultuous revelation- I despise her for the anguish she inflicted on my best friend and the havoc she wrought on my life without a moment's hesitation. Yet, despite it all, I find myself unable to summon the hatred I once believed I harbored for her. The thought of leaving her behind, no matter the circumstances, fills me with an unbearable ache. It's a contradiction that I struggle to reconcile within myself.

Observing the way he tries to hide a bashful grin fills me with immense happiness, despite the turmoil I'm experiencing internally. I opt not to burden him with my concerns about his sister at this moment. "We've been looking all over; I finally found you," I remark, my voice filled with a mixture of relief and joy upon this serendipitous encounter.

Close proximity to Idalia's brother sparks a renewed sense of hope within me. His presence represents not just a chance encounter, but a beacon of escape, a ticket to freedom. While Idalia may not be actively searching for me, her unwavering commitment to finding her brother ensures our paths will inevitably intersect. In this moment, I cling to the belief that she wouldn't simply abandon me if she found us together. Though she might not risk her own safety for my sake, her protective instincts would undoubtedly kick in for her brother. With each passing moment, I find myself holding onto this glimmer of hope a little while longer.