Chapter Thirty-Three: Avalyn

Finding our way back to civilization took longer than I anticipated, but once we did, everything fell into place effortlessly- compulsion can be quite a powerful tool. Getting someone to take us home was a breeze. I found myself quite amused by Aren's fascination, as he oohed and ahhed at every little thing along the way.

While I'm cognizant of the length of time he spent in confinement, I suppose I never truly grasped just how out of touch he is with the current state of our world. It must be a profound shock for him, and judging by his reactions to even the simplest things, it's clear that his reality now is vastly different from what he remembers. I had assumed he would be more knowledgeable, given his frequent transfers to and from auctions and his interactions with people there. However, it's becoming increasingly evident that he was kept in the dark during transport, unable to see or experience anything beyond his captivity.

He couldn't stop talking once the city came into view; he was utterly fascinated by the towering buildings and their impressive heights. Even the driver found himself on the receiving end of Aren's enthusiastic chatter, and by the end of the ride, I felt like I knew nearly everything about the man behind the wheel. Aren managed to extract so much information from him that the only thing missing was probably his social security number. Although, in all honesty, if Aren understood what that meant, we might have that too.

As we finally pull up in front of the expansive apartment complex, a wave of relief washes over me. I quickly thank the compelled stranger, expressing my apologies for any inconvenience and feeling a twinge of guilt for not having anything to offer him. Then, I firmly instruct him to forget all about this impromptu journey before stepping out of the vehicle alongside Aren.

"Is she home? Do you think she'll be here? Is she usually here around this time? Will she be excited to see me? I hope she will because-"

"Aren," I interject, gently squeezing his hand to quiet his rapid-fire questions. "I've never once seen Idalia excited about anything, but I'm almost certain she's going to be over the moon when she sees you."

His frown swiftly transforms into a broad grin, and he starts to bob on his feet, brimming with a mixture of excitement and nervousness. "Yeah?" he asks, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "I'm so nervous; I might throw up all over."

I offer him a tight smile and pull him forward. "Let's not, okay?"

As we approach the front of the apartment, I notice the unusual silence enveloping the area. It's nearing 4 A.M., and typically, Idalia would be fast asleep by now. Yet, the stillness of the night feels unsettling, especially in the bustling cityscape of New York City. A strange churning sensation gnaws at my gut, and for some inexplicable reason, I can't shake the feeling that things won't unfold as I had anticipated.

If Idalia isn't here, then I'm at a loss. Without my phone, contacting her isn't an option. We'll just have to wait for her to return, assuming she's still even here. It's entirely plausible that she relocated after that encounter with the man. All I can do is hope she's peacefully asleep in her overly obnoxious pink bedroom.

With the door locked, I waste no time in forcefully manipulating the knob, just enough to grant me entry. My body is tense, ready to react if Idalia decides to launch an attack on the unexpected visitors that are us. However, as I step into the spacious living area, I'm met only with silence.

"Is she here?" Aren whispers, his voice barely audible.

"Do you see her?" I respond, my tone tinged with disappointment.

His head swivels in every direction, his body executing a full circle. "Uh... no," he replies quietly, turning to gaze down at me.

I can't help but chuckle softly as I pass him by and enter her room. The bed is impeccably made, as usual, but she's nowhere to be found. I check her bathroom, noting the absence of certain items. Enough of her belongings are still here to suggest she's still living in this apartment, but it's evident she's not currently staying here. Perhaps she relocated, or like me, she might have been taken.