Chapter Twenty-Nine: Aren

Leave? Tonight?

 The idea of escaping this place is foreign to me, something I've never seriously entertained. I've been trapped here for so long that the thought of anything beyond these cement walls, medical instruments, and auctions feels like an abstract concept.

 I struggle to even grasp what the world outside might look like. I can only imagine it's advanced in ways I can't fathom. I've witnessed the modernization of people, their clothing, their speech, and technological advancements, but I have no practical understanding of how anything operates beyond the confines of this nightmare.

 A sudden impulse overtakes me, and without hesitation, I offer my wrist to Avalyn. I can't deny the longing I feel for her lips on my skin once more, though I hope I won't embarrass myself as I did before. Fortunately, she has no recollection of that moment. "Take as much as you need," I say, surrendering to the inevitable pull between us.

 She voices her concerns about my comfort, displaying her characteristic kindness like the sweet girl she is. Yet, I assure her that I'm more than alright— I'm perfectly content. In fact, she could drain me completely dry, and I'd still be okay with it. Sometimes, in my fantasies, I imagine her doing just that. But in those scenarios, it's under much more pleasant circumstances, like being tied to a bed in the throes of passion.

 She nods, her gaze locked with mine as she brings my wrist to her lips and delicately bites down. I suppress a groan, focusing intently on the sight of her rather than the sensations coursing through me. Allowing myself to experience those feelings fully would undoubtedly lead to shameful actions.

 When she said I could kiss her, I almost thought it was a joke, a mocking gesture. After all, how could someone like her want to kiss someone like me? But as her lips grace my wrist, I'm overwhelmed by their extraordinary sensation, a longing building within me to feel them on my own lips. The bite is over quicker than I'd like, yet I find a strange sense of relief in its conclusion, seeing as I was too close to sporting an erection for comfort.

 To my surprise, she wastes no time springing to her feet. I watch in astonishment as she stands with newfound strength, her stance unwavering, head held high as she strides confidently to the front of the cell. "Stay close," she whispers, leaving me bewildered, before her hands grasp to shake at the cell door, emitting a piercing screech that reverberates through my ears.

 The sudden loudness has me instinctively reaching to cover my ears. Loud noises have always unnerved me, and this is no exception. The force with which she yanks and bangs on the door sends vibrations coursing through my body. It's as if she's close to tearing it off its hinges.

 The guards respond swiftly, and soon the first one, a tall, stocky man, emerges into view. His hand hovers near his gun, a tense readiness evident in his demeanor. I observe as he reaches for his ear, pressing down to communicate. "Yeah, it's A-3," he says into his earpiece. "Want me to put her to sleep?"

 Avalyn suddenly freezes in place, her expression devoid of fear. Despite her assurance that she had a plan, its swift unfolding catches me off guard. As I watch it play out before me, lingering doubt creeps into my thoughts. The possibility of escape feels too surreal, too far-fetched to grasp. Even as she attempts it at this very moment, my brain struggles to accept that it could actually succeed. Instead, all I can envision is the fallout when her efforts inevitably fail.

 The guard draws near, swiftly brandishing his gun and aiming it directly at her. The narrow confines of the space make the weapon almost touch the inside of her cell. At that moment, I realize she's taking advantage of the proximity, and it dawns on me that she might actually succeed.