Chapter Thirty-One: Wrath

Despite my initial resolve and promises to myself, we've kept a low profile since the auction I attended with Idalia. We've avoided the extravagant after-parties that usually follow, even though they might have led us to Avalyn. Caution has become our priority, trumping any reckless pursuit, as safety remains paramount.

The auction we attended last night was disappointing, not yielding the results I had hoped for. My expectations were sky-high, daring to believe we might find some trace of them there- of Avalyn. But reality hit hard, dashing those dreams. It's evident now that stumbling upon them by chance is unlikely. If we're to unearth any information about their whereabouts, we'll need a calculated, strategic approach. Frankly, the realization makes me feel like tearing my skin from my body. I should be doing more, not sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

Idalia's recent actions have only solidified my suspicions about her unpredictable nature. While I was prepared for a certain level of instability when teaming up with her, I never expected her to deliberately flip a car at such a reckless speed. It's beyond insane, and while I suspected she was a bit unhinged, I didn't realize the extent of it. There was clearly something that triggered this behavior, and it seems closely tied to whatever she revealed to us this morning.

As Idalia finally disclosed that the headman of WWA recognized her from that night, her face betrayed a raw, undeniable fear. No matter how desperately she tried to mask it, the terror was palpable. It dawned on me then that there were layers to her past, and perhaps mine as well, that I had yet to uncover- elements that could swiftly return Cierien and me to the very cells we had fought tooth and nail to escape from.

My initial determination to bulldoze through obstacles has been rattled. As much as it pains me to admit, I must concede that Idalia's cautious approach appears to be the wiser choice, no matter how annoying that may be. We simply cannot afford to gamble recklessly; the stakes are too dire with the lives of our loved ones on the line. It's a sobering truth, but one I must embrace if we are to traverse this treacherous terrain with any chance of triumph.

The surge of anger coursing through me threatens to consume my very being. Every fiber of my being screams with frustration, a primal urge to lash out at those responsible for taking Avalyn. I should be out there, exacting vengeance upon WWA members with every ounce of fury I possess. Yet here I am, confined to this room, rendered utterly helpless in the face of adversity. The weight of failure bears down upon me, suffocating me with its overwhelming presence. I've failed to protect Avalyn- failed to fulfill my duty to those I care about most.

Though I may lack Idalia's patience, I've made a firm decision to embrace a more cautious strategy. The upcoming auction hangs on the horizon, set to unfold in the same venue as before- a consistent pattern in WWA's events. It's becoming increasingly clear that WWA alters its location only on an annual basis, barring exceptional circumstances. This understanding provides a crucial piece of intelligence, one I'm determined to exploit to our advantage.

The revelation of Idalia's tie to the headman of the organization adds a fresh layer of complexity to our mission. Infiltrating another auction will undoubtedly be our toughest challenge yet. However, having obtained the layout of the venue grants us a precious advantage. With meticulous planning and precise execution, there's still hope to surmount the obstacles and reach our goals. It's a daunting task, but nothing worth fighting for ever comes easy. And for the chance to reclaim my girl, I'd do anything.

Idalia proposed waiting a couple of weeks to lower the risk, but I find myself unable to comply. While I understand the logic behind her suggestion, I simply cannot afford to let several weeks pass knowing that Avalyn's whereabouts are within reach. Playing it safe is crucial, but so is acting swiftly. She's suffering; I won't prolong that if I don't have to. We must strike a delicate balance between caution and urgency if we are to succeed in our mission.