Chapter 11

"They're so strong," Tawnypelt purred as she gazed upon Hopeflame's kits. "I can't wait until mine are born." She brightened. "Our kits will be kin!"

Hopeflame looked at Tawnypelt affectionately. Brambleclaw's sister had only moved into the nursery half a moon ago. It would be a while before her kits were born. Still, it was nice to have more company. The nursery was starting to feel full with Ferncloud, Featherstream, Tawnypelt, herself, and three litters of kits. TigerClan was thriving.

"Tigerstar wasn't too thrilled with our kits' names." Hopeflame mewed with a smirk. "He argued with Brambleclaw all night about changing their names. He didn't budge."

Featherstream rolled her eyes. "Well, we can't have any cat remembering or honoring the old clans." She replied sarcastically.

"No," Hopeflame chuckled. "We can't have that at all."

"I can't wait until mine are apprentices," Ferncloud groaned. Spiderkit and Shrewkit were outside playing where she could still see them. "They're getting too rowdy for the nursery."

Silverkit and Stormkit were busy watching Hopeflame's kits with curiosity. "When can we play with them?" Stormkit squeaked.

Silverkit rolled her eyes at her brother. "They're only a few days old." She reminded him impatiently. "They haven't even opened their eyes yet!"

Hopeflame purred with amusement at her half-sister's kits. "It'll be at least a moon before they can play."

"We're two moons old," Stormkit stated proudly as he puffed out his chest.

"I can't wait until we're apprentices," Silverkit sighed dreamily.

Hopeflame shared a look with Featherstream. According to the Code of TigerClan, kits were made apprentices at four moons old rather than six. Now that she had kits of her own, Hopeflame was even more disgusted by the practice. Four moons seemed much to young to be an apprentice.

A yowl outside signaled that Tigerstar was calling a clan meeting. Everyone got up to join them, but Hopeflame hesitated. She wasn't ready to leave her kits for much amount of time. What if they got hungry or scared?

"You could sit in the entrance," Ferncloud suggested. "That's what I did when mine were newborns."

Hopeflame blinked at her gratefully. She moved to sit in the nursery entrance where she could see everything happening but also keep an eye on her kits. The clan gathered around the Great Rock where Tigerstar waited patiently. What could he possibly want?

"Cats of TigerClan," Tigerstar yowled loud enough even for her to hear. "We have grown much since the Merges and TigerClan is unified. Today, one cat must earn his warrior name. His being here is a symbol of my generosity."

Tigerstar motioned a cat forward and Hopeflame's heart skipped a beat when she saw that it was Free. The clan backed and created space for the dreaded warrior assessment. Free stood at the center, the sun gleaming off of his dark gray pelt. His resemblance to Graystripe was uncanny.

"Free, you will be fighting my son and trusted deputy, Brambleclaw." Tigerstar nodded to Brambleclaw who stepped to join Free in the center. "Prove yourself worthy and you will receive your warrior name."

Free narrowed his eyes at Brambleclaw. Before Tigerstar gave the word, Free lunged for the dark brown tabby tom with surprising ferocity. Hopeflame gasped; she hated watching her brother fight against her mate. The two became a clawing, writhing mess of fur and blood.

Brambleclaw tried to pin Free, but the gray tom moved swiftly to avoid him. He tripped Brambleclaw in the process, preparing to claw him across the belly. Brambleclaw kicked out at Free with his hind legs and the gray tom went flying.

Free landed in the dirt with a thud but didn't stay down long. The two toms circled each other, snarling. Brambleclaw lunged at Free, but he was ready for him. In one swift movement that took everyone by surprise, Free leaped straight over Brambleclaw. In one heartbeat, he spun and tripped Brambleclaw from behind.

Somehow, Free managed to pin Brambleclaw beneath his sharp claws. The clan held their breath. Hopeflame prayed to StarClan that Free would hold his temper and not seriously injure Brambleclaw. She sighed with relief when Free released him and backed away respectfully.

Tigerstar jumped down from the Great Rock to stand in between Free and Brambleclaw. He faced the dark gray tom with a new appreciation in his gaze. The clan watched with bated breath, wondering what Tigerstar would say.

"Free," Tigerstar began, "You've come a long way. Clan-born but raised by loners, it's taken you longer than most to reach your warrior assessment. And so I ask you: Free, do you promise to uphold the Code of TigerClan, to fight until the death to protect this clan, and to draw blood like a warrior?"

For the longest time, Free didn't say anything. His gaze searched the clan, looking for someone. Then, his green eyes settled on her. They held each other's stare, and Hopeflame saw questions hidden there. He looked so unsure.

Hopeflame gave him a reassuring nod, remembering their conversation when she'd pleaded for his freedom. He had expressed his disinterest in being part of a clan with no honor. She had promised that things would change one day. She still trusted that was true.

Free's gaze softened at her. He faced Tigerstar with a new confidence. "I do."

Tigerstar stood taller. "Then, from this moment on, your name will be Freeleap. You are no longer a loner, but a full warrior of TigerClan."

The clan started cheering his new name: "Freeleap! Freeleap!"

Hopeflame cheered loudest of all.

Freeleap broke away from the clan and padded towards her. He paused before rubbing his cheek against hers. "I hope that you still trust TigerClan can be honorable."

Hopeflame nodded with a purr. Her eyes found Brambleclaw among her clanmates. For all his faults, she trusted him. He would make an honorable leader.

"I do."