Chapter 9

The darkness that crept over the forest seemed colder that night unlike any other before. Thick snowflakes fell softly from the sky, as if StarClan had ordered them to fall in silence out of respect for the vigil that stood for Oakfur. They sat gathered around his lifeless body with their heads lowered in mourning. Among them were Runningnose, Tallpoppy, and Fawnstep: all former ShadowClan cats.

For the first time since ShadowClan'a merge, she became aware of the tension between them, so tense that it could be snapped like an icicle. Hopeflame glanced from the vigil to Tigerstar's den, wondering not for the first time if the cruel leader realized the consequences of his actions. The former ShadowClan warriors probably thought Tigerstar didn't value their lives as much as the original TigerClan cats.

Hopeflame didn't join them. She hovered between the mourning and those responsible for it. Their pain and suffering struck her like a blow to the chest, much like the pain caused from each Merge. Her hackles raised at the memories. She had hoped to be finished with that pain, to leave it in the past. But, clearly, her clanmates still felt the weight of the Merges heavy in their hearts.

Brambleclaw's voice startled her: "Hopeflame?" He nudged her shoulder gently. "It's late, you should come sleep."

"I can't sleep," She murmured low enough so no one else would hear her. "I can't ignore their pain."

A flicker of annoyance danced in Brambleclaw's eyes before it disappeared. "He was too old, Hopeflame. We need to conserve our supplies."

In that instant, Hopeflame spun to face him with fangs bared from anger. "That's exactly what your father said! Do you not have a mind of your own now, Brambleclaw? Or do you just believe everything your daddy tells you?"

The fur along his spine rose with indignation. "Don't be ridiculous. Of course I can think for myself!"

"Then prove it." Hopeflame growled with anger flashing in her eyes. All the suffering brought on by Tigerstar swirled in her mind like a storm. She had to orchestrate the fall of two clans because he demanded it. Never again. Hopeflame studied Brambleclaw for some hint of remorse or regret, but she found neither. "Right now, all I see standing in front of me is Tigerstar's shadow!"

Before Brambleclaw could respond, she marched past Oakfur's vigil and straight out of camp. She needed some fresh air away from the constricting grasp of Tigerstar and Brambleclaw. She loved Brambleclaw, that much she knew, but she couldn't believe that he would side with his father on this. He's come so far from the innocent kit she used to play with.

The crisp, cool air outside Fourtrees enveloped Hopeflame as if she's dived into the river. A chill raced along her spine, which she ignored as she trotted away from the camp. From behind her, she heard the familiar footfalls of Brambleclaw.

"I need a moment alone, Brambleclaw," She growled with irritation.

He loped up to her and fell into step beside her. "Hopeflame...you need to understand: he's my father. He holds me to higher expectations than anyone else." When she didn't say anything and merely continued walking, he added: "Can't you see how hard this is for me?"

With no one near them, Hopeflame unleashed all the rage she's burrowed deep within her for so long. "Your father's an evil tyrant, Brambleclaw! There's so much that you don't know or understand!" Hopeflame raised her green eyes to meet his with desperation glowing within them. "I know how they feel. I lost my father, my brother, and I betrayed two clans for your father. I'm exhausted."

"Then tell me what I don't understand!" He roared with anger. Almost immediately, he felt ashamed. Brambleclaw moved closer to brush his nose against her fur, but Hopeflame pulled away. "I'm sorry," He murmured. "I know how much you've lost."

"No, clearly you don't because you still follow your father. You still side with him when he causes so much suffering." Hopeflame's throat tightened with all the emotion she forced herself to hold back. "You're taking his side over the good of the clan."

"That's not fair, Hopeflame," Brambleclaw argued, the fires of desperation dancing in his amber eyes. "I'm his deputy, I have to obey him. Tell me what I don't know."

Hopeflame shook her head and released a sigh. What else could she possibly say to make him see reason. Brambleclaw was loyal, especially to his kin regardless of their sins. Clearly, she wouldn't be able to talk sense into him. She certainly couldn't tell him about her journey to Highstones. He'd write StarClan off as foolish madness.

"It wouldn't matter if I told you," Hopeflame confessed as she studied him for his response. "You wouldn't believe me."

With that said, she brushed passed him to return to Fourtrees. At the last moment, Hopeflame paused. She didn't look at him, she didn't turn around. She simply announced: "I'll be staying in the nursery until the kits are born."

Hopeflame heard the beginnings of an argument before she took off towards Fourtrees. She entered camp in a hurry which earned her some surprised stares. She hid her emotions well as she feigned calmness. Hopeflame padded towards the nursery where she hoped to find comfort with Featherstream.

When she stepped into the nursery, she noted that almost everyone was asleep. The only one awake was Featherstream. She lifted her graceful silver head in surprise at Hopeflame.

"What're you doing here, Hopeflame?" Featherstream wondered out loud quietly. Silverkit and Stormkit were sleeping soundly.

Hopeflame gasped for breath as the tears began streaming down her russet cheeks. "I-I had a fight with Brambleclaw..."

Featherstream beckoned her closer. "You can share my nest tonight. Tomorrow morning we can make you your own." Hopeflame whispered her thanks as she curled up back to back with Featherstream. "Do you want to talk about it?" Her sister asked gently.

Hopeflame shook her head. "No, it wouldn't change a thing."

The rhythmic breathing of Featherstream brought Hopeflame back to the RiverClan camp where she shared a den with her and Stormblaze. Then, she had been a pawn in Tigerstar's grand scheme. Even so, they had been some of the happiest moons of her life. Hopeflame drifted to sleep with images of playing with Featherstream and Stormblaze and training with Graystripe in her mind.