Chapter 13

Hopeflame crouched at the edge of the clearing, sharing a mouse with Mapleheart. Her kits played nearby with Silverkit and Stormkit. Featherstream sat near the nursery entrance watching them carefully.

"The kits are growing stronger," Mapleheart noted, eyeing the kits lovingly. "It's great that they're close in age with Silverkit and Stormkit."

She brightened at her sister's praise. They were getting stronger and more adventurous every day. It was a full-time job to keep them from wandering out of camp. Riverkit and Shadowkit especially tried to tag after every patrol, but Thunderkit and Windkit were more content to observe.

"How's Spottedpaw's training coming along?" Hopeflame asked her sister. Spottedpaw was one of Brightflower and Swiftwind's kits. She'd started training to be a healer with Mapleheart soon after the Merge with WindClan.

Mapleheart's amber eyes shimmered with excitement. "She's so bright! Spottedpaw has a real instinct for healing and she's so compassionate with all her patients. She was very helpful while delivering Tawnypelt's three kits."

Hopeflame was happy to see Mapleheart settling into her life as a healer. Once upon a time, she'd worried a lot about her sickly sister's future in the clan. But now, Mapleheart was a talented healer training an apprentice.

"I'm so proud of you, Mapleheart." Hopeflame purred.

Mapleheart gave her chest fur a few embarrassed licks. She suddenly sat straighter, her eyes focused on something. Hopeflame glanced over her shoulder to see Rainwhisker setting prey on the fresh-kill pile. The realization came over her like a ray of sunshine: Mapleheart liked Rainwhisker.

Hopeflame gave Mapleheart a playful nudge. "Rainwhisker's a nice, sensible tom."

Before Mapleheart could respond, Lilacpaw raced into camp, her tail fluffed out in fear. "Help! Ebonypaw fell out of a tree and he's not moving!"

Hopeflame jumped to her paws, her fur bristling at the news. Ebonypaw had been her apprentice! She and Mapleheart crossed the clearing to meet Lilacpaw. The young apprentice seemed frantic.

"Where did this happen?" Hopeflame asked Lilacpaw in as calm a voice as she could manage. By this time, more of the clan had gathered around.

"He climbed a tree by Snackrocks," Lilacpaw responded as she tried to catch her breath. "He was trying to catch a squirrel but the branch broke and he fell..."

Tigerstar pushed through the crowd of cats. "Lead the way to him, Lilacpaw."

Hopeflame frantically searched for her kits and saw them with Featherstream. Her half-sister met her gaze and gave her a reassuring nod. She'd known was she was asking without a word needing to be said.

"I'll join you," Hopeflame volunteered. She needed to be sure that Ebonypaw was okay.

Mapleheart stepped forward at her side. "You'll need a healer."

Tigerstar nodded to each of them. "Very well." He surveyed the camp with his amber eyes. "Longtail, both Runnindwind and Darkflower went on a patrol along the Wind Border. Fetch them and tell them what happened." With that said, the leader signaled Lilacpaw to lead them.

Lilacpaw turned tail and ran out of camp with Hopeflame and the others on her tail. The young apprentice, born of WindClan, was extremely fast. She'd be even quicker if she didn't have to slow down to dodge trees and undergrowth. Hopeflame kept up with the group, but barely. It's easily been two moons since she's gotten any good exercise.

They kept a steady pace through the forest, swerving around trees and undergrowth. Hopeflame tried not to imagine the worst. Perhaps Ebonypaw just had a sprained leg or a dislocated shoulder? They wouldn't know until they got there and Mapleheart's had a chance to look him over.

Soon, she could see Owlgaze, Whitestorm, and Russetfur gathered around a black lump of fur on the forest floor. As they neared, she realized with dread that Ebonypaw was not moving. He did lift his head upon their arrival which sparked some hope in Hopeflame's chest.

Mapleheart immediately went to his side. She evaluated his eyes, his body for any visible wounds. Tigerstar walked up more slowly, taking in the scene carefully. Hopeflame moved by Ebonypaw's head to offer any comfort.

"Hopeflame?" Ebonypaw wheezed.

She touched her nose to his forehead. "It'll be okay, Ebonypaw. Mapleheart will make you all better."

Hopeflame noticed Mapleheart running her claw gently down his spine. She started at his shoulders and he flinched. As she went down his back, he continued flinching against her touch. Then she reached the base of his tail and Ebonypaw didn't flinch. He didn't even seem to notice that Mapleheart's claw was prodding him.

"I told him not to climb the tree," Owlgaze was telling Tigerstar. "He wouldn't listen! Before I know it, he's falling from the tree..."

A part of Hopeflame wanted to blame Owlgaze, but deep down she knew it wasn't his fault. Sometimes apprentices, especially as they neared their warrior assessment, liked to think they knew better than their mentors. Ebonypaw may have not listened to her either.

Mapleheart's face was stoic. She beckoned Tigerstar to her and spoke to him under her breath. All Hopeflame heard her say was 'paralyzed'.

Realization filled Tigerstar's face. "Are you sure?" He asked.

Mapleheart padded up to Ebonypaw. She prodded her claw at the base of his tail. "Can you feel that, Ebonypaw?" Her voice was calm, careful, measured.

He shook his head weakly. "No."

"What about that?" Mapleheart moved her claw along each of his hind legs. He replied with another shake of his head. She gave Tigerstar a look.

"Whats wrong with me?" Ebonypaw murmured shakily. His amber eyes widened in fear.

"You're paralyzed," Mapleheart explained slowly. "You'll never walk properly again."

Hopeflame touched her nose to his forehead. "But your whole clan will support you," She promised him. "You'll get through this."

Tigerstar stepped forward, the shadows crawling across his broad shoulders. "Don't make promises you can't keep, Hopeflame."

Without another word, Tigerstar raked his claws against Ebonypaw's throat. Hopeflame gasped, her heart twisting in her chest. Owlgaze stood frozen and Russetfur tried to shield Lilacpaw's eyes.

Blood flowed from Ebonypaw's throat like a river, staining the forest floor.